Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fire and milk for controlling plum brown rot

Posted by bobhei77 Zone 3b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 22:44

Last year I started using alternating sprays of milk (1 cup/gal.), lime-sulfur, and then flaming the ground for any mumified plums (Mount Royal) with brown rot that I knocked from the trees with a long stick (I just used a small LP tank with an extension wand to lightly waft over any fallen diseased plums). Each idea was found in other organic disease control books or articles. On my trees I've gone from 100% loss to less than 10%. Seems good but wondering if others have tried, or have ways to improve each aspect? I'd like to move to my grapes next year as I have once again had a lousy crop from loss to powdery mildew with our extremely wet summer. Any ideas?

This post was edited by bobhei77 on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 16:27

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fire and milk for controlling plum brown rot

I gently pull off and step on bad plums and twist foot hard. Usually that does in all the spores on them for good. Flaming sounds like a very good approach though, it will fry any random spores that were loose. I am doubtful that milk does much based on scientific studies where it didn't do anything, but lime-sulphur is a big help.

Are you sure you have powdery mildew on your grapes? That happens in dry weather in my climate. Wet weather brings downy mildew. I use copper on it, nothing else that I tried worked. Powdery mildew is easy to get rid of if thats what you have, just use oil on it.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here