Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruitmaven_wiz5

Does a Mutsu apple tree have a chance of ripening in WI?

fruitmaven_wiz5
11 years ago

I've heard lots of good things about the Mutsu apple. There is one at Menards on clearance now, so I'm tempted to squeeze it in to my yard. However, I really don't want to take care of it only to find I never get a harvest. It's supposed to ripen in mid-October. In zone 5, near Madison WI we have a 90% chance to get a frost by mid-October.

Does anyone in a similar climate have a Mutsu tree? Will it ripen, and is it worth it? Thanks for your input!

Comments (3)

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Mutsu is not the easiest apple for me but it may well ripen there. Frost does not pre-empt further ripening, very hard frost does (around 26 for tender varieties), but how much cold an apple can take varies from variety to variety. Z5 may be the new Z6 anyway.

Japanese types tend towards low acid, high sugar. Mutsu is tasty if you like this sort and also a great cooker as far as holding texture and adding its own sugar to the recipe.

• ltilton
    11 years ago

Madison isn't that much further north than Chicago. I've had no problem ripening Enterprise until mid October, which it needs, and I just got an October Fuji. I'd take the bet.

• fruitmaven_wiz5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice, I think I will try it!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting