Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wasps eating my raspberries. Help?!

Posted by kim0201 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 22:50

My raspberry plants are full of berries for the first time. They have succumbed to deer in past years. But now I'm noticing the wasps are nibbling on the berries as they ripen. I'm leary of spraying an insecticide. Are there other options besides sharing? I won't mind that but they are eating them all. TIA for suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wasps eating my raspberries. Help?!

I've read soapy water kills them. It coats their bodies and they lose their protective layers and die. I use it in the ant moat of my hummingbird feeder and the wasps die. Be careful though because the soap took the color off my red super bells and they turned tan :( Luckily, a storm came and washed away the tan flowers. If there are just on or two wasps eating the fruit you could kill them with a fly swatter, but it sounds like there are a lot of them.
Good luck, Eric

o
RE: Wasps eating my raspberries. Help?!

Thank you Eric for the suggestion. I will try the soapy water. Yes, too many for a swatter. Darn! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here