Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itheweatherman

Sweet pluots

itheweatherman
10 years ago

I bought a few pounds of pluots today.

Top to bottom: Flavor queen, Dapple Dandy, Flavor finale (black), Flavor grenade, and dapple fire (nectarine x plum x peach).

Flavor:

Flavor Finale: I'm rating it number one at least for now, extremely sweet and juicy, with a mango after taste.

Dapple dandy pluot: sweet and tart, they taste like wild berries.

Flavor grenade pluot: tastes like fuji apples dipped in honey, very crunchy.

Flavor queen pluot, strong apricot flavor.

Dapple fire pluot ( nectarine x peach x plum)--I think it should be called nectaplum or nectapeaplum--- unique flavor. Second best.

Comments (21)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Those look good.
    I recently bought some that were labeled Nectacots.They had a tart skin and mostly Nectarine flavored flesh.Fairly small. Brady

• Tony
    10 years ago

WM,

I wonder if the flavor and sweetness would improved if they let the fruits hang on the tree a little longer? BTW I bought a packet (12 fruits) of Black Velvet Plumcot (50/50) from Costco and it was excellent. Very sweet with more plum flavor then apricot, the skin was like soft velvet and a little tart.

Tony

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what kind of Pluot these are, but they are very sweet- 17 brix. They also have good texture and a reasonably interesting flavor, though not intense. I bought them at Whole Foods for $2.99/lb, on sale for organic pluots.

• MrClint
    10 years ago

Pluots left to ripen on the tree take on amazing qualities, not just sweetness. Likewise for the much maligned (around this board) burgundy plum. I can't even look at another piece of fruit when figs, burgundy plums and pluots are ripe.

If you bring in Dapple Dandy while they look their bright speckled, beautiful best, you'll have a spicy tart fruit that is not so much to my liking. If you let them sit on the tree and bleach out and shrivel a bit in the sun, you will have an absolute winner. The flavors balance out over time and become sublime.

Flavor King brought in too soon is inedible, really a horrid piece of fruit. Let it hold until you can't stand it any longer and you will have a fruit that is out of this world. I can't even begin to describe the flavor.

Flavor Grenade has the widest range of quality of all the pluots that I grow. They can be good even when full-on green and hard. They just get better and sweeter the longer they hold. The super crunchiness tops off the whole experience.

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

Mr Clint, Can you tell from the photo which type mine was? I wish they would print that info on the tags...

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

bob:

That's probably a Dapple Dandy. Picked too early for me. Even at their best they are not great for my taste. I'll probably pick mine in August. I have left them until October but they aren't any better. I'll take a Flavor Treat late in the year over Dapple Dandy.

• itheweatherman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think that they are probably early dapple pluots. They taste similar to dapple dandy pluots but with less tartness.

• MrClint
    10 years ago

Yeah, it's hard to say for sure which pluot you bought at the market. There are commercial varieties that home growers just can't purchase. I think Dapple Dandy would be reasonably close to what you bought.

Checking these fruits out at the market is a good first step as it can give you a reasonable idea of the flavor profile. From there, you can grow your own and be blown away with dead ripe fruit from your own tree.

I grow all my pluots in ground, so I cannot speak to what a Dapple Dandy tastes like grown in a pot without the mineralization and microbial activity of a living soil.

• Tony
    10 years ago

I cracked the Black Velvet Plumcot seed with the nut cracker and planted the seed to see if the fruit will be any good down the road.

Tony

• itheweatherman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

He is flavor finale pluot.

• itheweatherman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is dapple fire pluot (50% plum, 37.50% nectarine, and 12.50% peach).

• itheweatherman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is flavor queen pluot (still green).

• itheweatherman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is flavor grenade pluot (it's still green).

• itheweatherman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and finally dapple dandy pluot.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I bought some Amish grown cherries at the eastern market in Detroit and man, they are meaty like a plum, best cherries I have had in a long time. Reiner cherries.
    I don't need a brix meter or anything, taste says it all.
    Definitely better than the cherries I grew this year.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 16:53

• MrClint
    10 years ago

I just brought in some dead ripe Flavor King (fell off the tree into a strategically placed net) a few minutes ago and they were instantly devoured by the family. Just an amazing piece of fruit. I still can't describe the flavor adequately, the sweetness is there in spades, but there's this flavor spectrum that I cannot place. I try every year but fail to map the taste to something I've had before. Some spice, some other fruit, nothing comes to mind. Simply incredible. Fruitnut, can you describe the flavor?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I have Flavor King growing here too, but I'm finding the pluots a bit too sweet for my tastes. I'll probably pick them way early if I ever get a crop.

• itheweatherman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mrclint:

Flavor king pluot tastes like a very sweet plum with a hint of apricot and cinnamon. And with a strong peach after taste. I think it has peach in its parentage. According to Dave Wilson Nursery peach parentage in Bella Gold peacotum comes from Geo Pride pluot, and according to the patent, both Geo and flavor king pluots come from the same parents.

• itheweatherman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"I bought some Amish grown cherries at the eastern market in Detroit and man, they are meaty like a plum, best cherries I have had in a long time. Reiner cherries.
    I don't need a brix meter or anything, taste says it all.
    Definitely better than the cherries I grew this year."

Raineer cherries are my favorites. But to expensive to buy.

Speaking of Raineer cherries, Zaiger will be releasing a plum x cherry hybrid that looks like a plum but tastes like a raineer cherry. Can't wait to try them.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"Raineer cherries are my favorites. But to expensive to buy. "

Well for those in my area that can go to The Eastern Market they are cheap!! Cheapest cherries I bought all year. You just have to know where to get them, but in CA everything is three times the price of stuff here.
    I really enjoy going there and stock up on stuff. It's more than a farmer's market, you can buy meat super cheap. I hate injected chicken so buy all my chicken there, Amish free range chicken. I can't eat any other chicken, it just doesn't compare. And the price is WAY better than anything in the super market. I don't buy fish there as I catch my own or buy from the indians, daily catch only.

• danzeb
    10 years ago

Bought some California Pluots at Costco today. Big, about 3 inches, and beautiful. They looked like Dapple Dandy. They were soft so I thought they would be good. They were sweet but the flavor was bland and they were not juicy. I couldn't eat them. Maybe they weren't Dapple Dandy but that's what they looked like. I have purchased smaller ones in the local supermarket that were very good so growing conditions are a big factor in quality.