Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much fruit would you remove?

Posted by marc5 z5OH (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 23:15

This is the first year I have had a real crop on my Goldrush on G16, planted in 2006. As you can see, this 8-foot tree is not vigorous, but it has a heavy crop. I was waiting for a June drop that never happened. Most of my young trees are loaded.

I'm going to have to take some fruit off soon--before the tree starts to fall over. How much would you remove?
Thanks,
Marc

2013 Goldrush overload photo 2013Goldrushoverload_zps19c1fd9b.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much fruit would you remove?

I'd go get a 10 foot metal conduit pipe at Lowes and support the tree. Pound the pipe at least 2 feet into the ground and tie the tree up.
Until then, i'd remove the fruit from more than the halfway point on the long droopy branches to reduce the strain.
In the spring, I'd halve those branches back.

This post was edited by megamav on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 23:45

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 0:20

I agree- that tree looks like it needs some support. Even without the heavy fruit load, my understanding is that G16 (like most dwarf rootstocks) requires staking for the life of the tree.

It would have been easier to install at planting, but better late than never. If you have rocky ground, it could be tough to drive 2' in and you might need to get more creative (my father used several posts at a distance around the tree with wire). I've stuck with 10.5' chain link top rails at planting. After the post is in position, I drive stones into the ground on all sides to help stabilize it.

I'd think that the first thinning targets would be the end of the long branch and the bending top.

o

Nice looking orchard!

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 11:23

Frank's comment got me to look at the background (I'm sometimes too focused on one thing at a time...) and I had 3 thoughts:

1.) Nice orchard, both in size and the apparent full sun. I'm jealous.

2.) With branches that low, it's got to be tough to mow. Maybe adding some woodchips under each tree would save you some time, as well as help the tree (not that it looks to be suffering).

3.) Is that another Goldrush tree in the background on the left? It looks just as heavily laden as the central tree.

o

Comments are right on. First order of business would be to stake that and any other shallow rooted tree laden with fruit. The next thunderstorm could otherwise put that nice tree right on the ground.

o

Thanks to you all for your comments. Sometimes reminders of a long-forgotten check list are exactly what is needed! I will stake that tree and remove fruit from the extremities. In more recent years as I have planted trees on G30, I have staked them with a 6' or 6.5" metal T-post, what I have readily available. However, I am not sure I would recommend this, as it leaves you with a stake only 4.5' or 5' in height. These G30 trees have a floppier top then the M7s, and seem to require some higher support. I should also probably prune them back a bit more aggressively to strengthen the leader.

That's a Honeycrisp in the background, also heavy-laden. It's finally bearing after 8 years in the heavy soil. It must have heard me say that it was put out or burn up this season.

That's good advice on mulching. I started with 3' mulch circles, but obviously they need to be expanded for easier mowing. I think I will also consider pruning off the lowest whorl of laterals, now that they are really dragging the ground. Critters also have to be considered.

Thanks,
Marc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here