Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cardboard under melons?

Posted by Posierosie 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 23:16

Hi,

I am growing some small cantelopes and Bush watermelons in my vege garden.

I have several cantelope and one watermelon fruits so far - just starting out.

I was going to cut peices of cardboard and place them under each melon to keep them from touching the dirt and rotting/insects. I was informed by my husband that I am crazy. Is this something people do?

Sorry if this is asked all the time - I could not find it with a board search.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cardboard under melons?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 23:28

I've done that at times but mostly with something that won't stay wet like cardboard. However can't say that it really helped because in my dry climate neither insects nor rot seems to be much of an issue.

o

I used newspaper last year. I was worried about slugs and I figured they wouldn't slither over paper to get to the melons. Everything seemed fine, though it might have been fine without the paper too.

o

Ok. It seems like possibly helpful but not necessary? Maybe I am thinking of tomatoes ....

Thank you for your responses!

o

I'm growing watermelons and read somewhere online of people using cardboard or straw under the melons. I've added straw under the melons to keep them off the dirt.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 10:20

If you have voles, they will tunnel under the melon, then tunnel into the melon. What you want under each melon is a piece of wood or a brick. Straw will help if the soil is constantly wet.

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 20:50

I usually use plastic container lids from ice cream buckets(we eat a lot of ice cream at my house). If I do not, the millipedes and pill bugs burrow in from the underside and totally ruin the fruit.
Stick something under them just to be safe. I wouldn't use straw or anything like that as the bugs will just burrow through it.

o

Ah, and we have sooo many pill bugs and millepedes....I think I might put a barrier there just in case. They are just sitting on bare dirt....

Thank you for your help!

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 14:02

If you're growing on black plastic, then you need something on the ground to get the melon off of the plastic, otherwise water will pool there and your melons will rot from below.

I use old pieces of wood from a former deck, but just about anything that will dry off and not trap water will do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here