Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is 'Halona' melon ripe?

Posted by steve_in_los_osos CA 10a/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 23:29

I'm 0 for 3 so far. I noticed a color change in two melons, checked for slip (didn't pull off) and let them sit a day more. The next day they were quite orange (on the outside) and little beetles were congregating on them. So in they came, finally slipping from the vine. Both were over ripe, although still very tasty, way juicy, flesh almost translucent, like the deep green part of a honeydew when it's getting over ripe (but orange, of course). Never seen a cantaloupe look like that before.

I brought in a third one today when it was looking just a little yellow. Had to really tug to get it loose. Same deal, seems way over ripe and this one has that sharp musky flavor that's not too nice (although still quite sweet and way juicy and translucent).

So I give up! How do you know when they are ripe? I have a few more less mature ones coming down the line.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is 'Halona' melon ripe?

Yeah, it's a tough one. The 'slip' method, and color change, are good tools but not foolproof. In reality, ground truth is best, and hopefully I have a melon or two to waste. My first watermelon this year was overripe, so I picked the next one (different variety with a slightly later maturity date) immediately. Hopefully it will be better. We haven't opened it. It's in the 'frig chillin'. Just try and pick the next one maybe 5 days earlier...just a guess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here