Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf spots on blueberry bush

Posted by poolecw Georgia 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 23:32

This is my first year growing blueberries. I bought and planted this Tiftblue rabbiteye the first week of June. I've noticed these reddish brown spots developing on the leaves. A quick google search turned up leaf scorch. What do you guys think it is? I've also read that this could be fungal. I've started noticing the spots early July.

What do you guys think and suggest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf spots on blueberry bush

I should add that it has rained significantly more than usual since the first week of July.

o

Powdery mildew. Get a spray bottle and mix half milk and half water. You may have to spray a couple times. I've only had to spray once to knock it out. The leafs won't repair them selfs but it will kill the mildew. Rabbiteyes are bad about leaf fungus. I like to wait until after harvest and do a summer prune. Let the cuts heal over good and then spray. It reduces the amount that has to be sprayed and let's you get better coverage because there's less to deal with. Powdery mildew won't kill your plant but it is unsightly and will cause early leaf drop on Rabbiteyes. Another benefit of summer pruning is it forces new wood that will retain leafs longer into the fall so there's better bud set.

o

poolecw,

You have black spot fungus not powdery mildew. There are a lot of natural alternatives to stop the spreading of this fungus. Try a google search.

Ron

o

It looks like a fungus to me. It really is no big deal. I tend to ignore it.

o

I have it on most of my blueberries too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here