Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plums - wild vs. hybrids

Posted by chris_7oaks 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 23:38

I have an isolated wild plum (Prunus americana) that bears no fruit. I'm planning on adding two more Plum trees near it this fall & looking for advice as to species. I try to stick to natives but would like to produce a decent & tasty harvest, as well. Are the hybrids significantly better for fresh eating than P. americana? I've heard wild Plums are good pollinators for Japanese hybrid plums. Could do two more wild Plums, or give hybrids a try. Not sure what the best approach would be, I appreciate any suggestions...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plums - wild vs. hybrids

Wild plims are concidered the best pollinators for hybrid plums hands down. HYbrid plus are said to have better taste then wild but ive also read some people having a good wild plum fruit as well.

If you have the space, why not another wild plum and a few hybrids?

o

I've tried some wild plums before, they were sweet with very astringent skin...also very small. Excellent pollinators. I think one reason i get such heavy fruit set on my hybrid plums is that there are large thickets of wild plums near my home. Hybrid plums are more like Japanese plums. Large and juicy. Some have very good flavor.

o

Wild plums can be good. They are as mentioned very small.
If they are growing wild, I would leave them. If I was buying and then planting the tree, I would stick to the domesticated varieties.

o

Thank you for your replies. Can anyone suggest any hybrids they've had success growing (& eating)? Hoping to plant 1 or 2 hybrids and another P. americana this fall. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here