Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need help identifying this small fruit please

Posted by smelser1123 NV (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 23:38

I noticed this tree during one of my walks and tasted how good the fruit is but do not know what it is. It almost looks like a rainier cherry but a little bigger. The flesh is yellow with the consistency and paste of a plum. The seed does not remove easily from the flesh just like with a plum. It appears the red ones are overripe and fall off the tree were as the yellowish with a little hint of orange are the ripe ones that stay on the tree. I have included a photo and if needed I have several more if you would like to see but any help would be greatly appreciated. Area I live is northern Nevada Reno area.

Thank you kindly,
Chris~

[update] I wanted to thank everyone for their kind and quick responses. My original post wasn't very clear so I should state that these trees do not appear to be wild and I believe they were planted along the exercise walkway as part of a beautification years ago. I happen to notice bing cherry trees about every tenth tree or so but unfortunately they are the first ones that are picked clean... lol

This post was edited by smelser1123 on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 1:46

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need help identifying this small fruit please

They look like wild plums, sometimes called sand plums and make delicious jam or jelly. However, the wild plums I'm familiar with grow on bushes.

o

I say it is a wild plum (prunus Americana), there are lots of forms of them as they themselves have been widely cultivated. This is not even to mention those that have escaped cultivation. The color of yours is the approximate color and size of those I've seen in the woods here in Maryland. Another possibility is a wild seedling from a discarded seed. There are lots of possibilities here, but for practical purposes, it's a wild plum. The Navajo made red dye from their roots.
At first I thought it was a gooseberry or currant. Looking more closely I recognized it as a wild plum. These will send up suckers under the tree that is said to make a fabulous rootstock for grafting.

o

If you like the fruit, why not pot up a few seeds. Chances are quite good at getting a tree which will produce the same or very similar fruit. If not, graft something better to it. These trees are somewhat uncommon to find growing wild here in western MD.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here