Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kai615

Strawberry advice.

kai615
10 years ago

Hello everyone.

I am in MD. I have finally finished moving my garden to the other side of our house. For reasons that just kept piling up, we spent 4 months moving my garden to where it is now. I now have the garden space of my dreams. Unfortunately it is July!

This garden space was moved for a lot of reasons but one of the big ones is that I have been dying to grow strawberries. I have a bed waiting for them which is 4'x32'. I know I want to plant some June bearing and some Everbearing. Besides that I am at a complete loss.... and I read a LOT on the internet and on GW. I think I may have read myself in circles.

My first question is- is it too late to plant this year to get a jump start on next year? Am I being too anxious to get them in the ground? My local nursery had bare root Ozarks marked down and I thought about buying a ton, but wasn't sure if I should put them in.

So my next question is - if I can plant this late is it too late for bare roots do I need to go plants? (that may prove cost prohibitive)

Any other advice for someone who has never grown strawberries before.... but absolutely loves them?

I have dedicated this much space to them because I do can them and usually have to go to the pick your own places to buy my supply every year for jams for the year. My thought is if I have June bearing I get a large bumper crop for my canning, then have some Everbearing plants to eat from fresh throughout the summer. Please correct my thinking if I am wrong.

Comments (2)