Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs eating my trees!

Posted by jellero SW Colorado (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 23:47

what is this? they are all over my elm tree plus one apple tree has some yellow leaves with black spots, some dry leaves. another apple has wooly aphids and one cherry has black aphids. i am handling the last two with high pressure water spray but i have no idea what the critter in the pic is. i just ordered the economy size neem oil. suggestions?
thanks, john

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs eating my trees!

Elm Leaf Beetle (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: Elm Leaf Beetle

o

I had a similar problem on a Siberian elm and was referred to this product by a member here from Denver who works for the city forestry division. It worked extremely well and installation was easy. It is not cheap but it is well worth it to have a healthy tree. It is systemic injected into the trunk so it won't affect the trees around it by over spray or through the soil.

I would contact the mfg about using the product at this time of year. I believe it is far more effective when the sap begins to flow in the spring. You may have to wait until next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: ACECAP® Systemic Insecticide Implants

o

thanks. the pic i posted didn't make the trip here well. the bug is bright black and yellow, maybe 1/4" long, the larvae 1/8" to 1/4" today and growing. there are 1-3 on each leaf and the tree is 30' high. my sprayer shoots maybe 5'.
i have seen small little beetles in my house though that have two stripes down the back... i took one to the local colorado extension and was told they would be sent to ft. c for an i.d. and i never heard from them. these bugs leave just the framework of the leaves. i don't like elms but this one sneaked in with the poplars and was blocking the views of my neighbors so was welcome. they grow tall and die. kind of worthless actually. i am worried about my apples and cherries though. j

This post was edited by jellero on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 12:56

o

that is one bug and it is is on my other tree and the one across the road... but there is also a black larvae on the leaf, wtf? is that just a younger version?? john

o

Unless your elm is a Siberian elm you will want to get rid of it. The Siberian are not susceptible to Dutch elm disease. Most seedlings around here are Japanese and not worth keeping. Just cut it down and if you replace it, replace it with a tree that is hardy enough for this zone. Personally I hate cottonwood and ash. They grow fast and then get damaged by early or late snows; when they die you've got a hefty bill to remove them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here