Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New World Asian pear cultivar

Posted by milehighgirl CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 0:15

I've never been a fan of Asian pears; I like mine soft. (Of course I've only eaten store-bought ones). On a lark I bought some at Costco and one of my sons just loved it. He said he always hated the squishiness of pears.

So now I am thinking about getting an Asian and I don't have a clue what to try. I was on Cliff England's site and was wondering about the New World cultivar he is selling. It is a cross between Bartlett European pear and Korean Giant Asian Pear.

I don't have a lot of fireblight issues here, but we do have a short growing season.

Has anyone here tried the New World or does anyone have any other suggestions for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New World Asian pear cultivar

MG,

I have not try the new cross from Cliff yet. But I have 15 plus varieties. So far I really like Olympic giant, Yoinashi, Shinko, New century, and Tennosui.

Tony

o

Mh,
If into october is a challenge you could pair yoinashi with hosui, even Atago for earliest, but I can't vouch for it.

o

I planted my New world pear in jan. No fruit yet of course. So far, it's growing like any pear. At least fireblight hasn't gotten it.

Cliff has only offered this pear for a year, so he's the only one I know of that can vouch for it.

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 22:19

I like the refreshing, light ones like Shinseiki and Ya Li,,

but I also like 20th century pear for flavor.

Chojuro has a rum kind of flavor and is a good keeper.

Korean Giant (DOn Bae is an amazing keeper.

Mine have broken branches the last two years because they set too much fruit. You'd think I'd learn , but apparently not yet.
John S
PDX OR

o

I asked Cliff about pollination of New World and he said it is pollinated by European pears. His is grafted onto Calleryana and I'm not sure that would be the best for my area, although he said it is hardy to zone 4.

Honestly I am leaning toward Yoinashi. Cummins has it on OHxF 97 and Bay Laurel has it on Betula.

Does Yoinashi need another Asian for pollination? I currently have 2 Euros; Red Clapp's Favorite and Moonglow. My neighbor has a flowering pear.

o

MG,

The flowering pear should pollinates the Yoinashi.

Tony

o

Looks like I'm going to lose my New World to fireblight. Its been a bad year for fb here.

o

Bob,
Sorry to hear about your New World Asian pear. I hope you did some back up grafts from the original tree. When I buy any new dormant tree, I usually do a couple back up graft on some branches, just in case the original tree die.

Tony

o

Thanks Tony. No, I didn't make back up grafts, probably should have. I think I'll move on to other pears, see how they do.

I'm curious how the Harrow Crisp, Delight, & Gold might do here; I'm not sure if I have enough chill hours, but they're supposedly very fb resistant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here