Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queensinfo

Tale of 2 blueberries

queensinfo
9 years ago

These two plants are same age, same soil, same variety, and planted the same time. I can't figure out why they are so drastically different. The only thing I can think of is that one was adjacent to a south facing white garage door and the other was about 4 feet from the door over the last wicked winter. Both plants had similar looking tip dieback. They are pink lemonade and were planted last spring. The fuller plant is in what I thought was a less ideal position for this growing year in terms of sun but has still kept growing better. I tried to give the worse plant a better location but they still each were shifted periodically.

Any thoughts to the potential differences?
Better plant

Comments (10)

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Worse plant

• ericwi
    9 years ago

I saw some tip dieback this spring, in our blueberry shrubs. It was a long winter, with and extended period of below normal temps, here in Wisconsin. However, we have three shrubs that are planted between our driveway and the neighbors driveway, so they get some extra water every time it rains. These three bb shrubs were free of tip dieback this spring. All of our shrubs are planted in the ground, which means they are in a more stable temperature over the winter months-that is, the roots are in a more stable environment. It is true that the ground freezes in the winter, to a depth of 20 or 30 inches. However, it does not get as cold as the air, so it is relatively warm compared to the atmosphere.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

It won't be the light. That won't affect growth that much. More likely water, fertilizer, media, or just a bad plant. I haven't had bad plants other than ones hit by stem blight. Mostly it's been water logged media or incorrect pH that have held mine back.

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fruitnut, that is what is so odd. they are fertilized the same and the media was the same batch. Maybe water in terms of their location (sun drying out one pot more than the other). I water frequently enough that it wouldn't be a problem. I may have to go with bad plant.

The one growing well is a mess, i am going to have no idea how to prune that thing for next year but there are tons of ground stems coming up and old big crossing stems too. seems like almost every branch crosses another one.

I may pull the weak plant and get something else that would help cross pollinate the pink lemonade and vice versa. for just one single plant as a x-pollinator, what would you recommend? something that preferably could be left outside but i guess i could slide it in the garage if i had to.

• nyRockFarmer
    9 years ago

The one up against the building is doing better?

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

My best tasting are Sweetcrisp and Springhigh. Both bloom very early. I've heard good things about Reka but haven't grown it myself.

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes the one up against the building is doing better. reflective light from garage door? better winter protection from being slightly closer to building during winter (building heat)?

I dont think either would account for the drastic differences.

• nyRockFarmer
    9 years ago

Did the missing foliage grow out normally in spring and fall off later? If so, did you see leaves dropping or did they just vanish?

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The sections along the branches with no leaves never grew out. it hasn't lost any leaves and has been growing a little better the last few weeks.

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    9 years ago

My guess would be the soil mix in the two pots has different ratios of...something. Maybe the pH is higher in the sad one. Have you taken them out and looked at the roots? Maybe a root-pruning would help the runt.

I have two less-thriving blueberries, much sadder than yours. One was in the ground, so it had higher pH and less loamy soil soil than the potted ones that grew well nearby. I also had one that was not repotted well when a big box store took it out of the sleeve and put it in a pot to sell. The roots were matted.
    My other blueberries are thriving.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus