Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf symptoms on Avocado

Posted by econ0003 10a CA / 8b CA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 0:41

I planted a small 5 gal Hass avocado from HD about a year ago. Since then it has grown about 4x or 5x its size. It has been pushing new growth continuously all spring and summer. In general it seems like a pretty healthy tree. This spring the older mature leaves started developing spots. As the new leaves mature they all seem to get these spots. The only thing that I can find online that looks similar is mite damage. Please help me identify what is causing this and how to treat it.

Thanks,
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf symptoms on Avocado

that is persea mites (very common). It can reduce vigor of the tree...but not usually critical. Spray Agri-Mek or buy "beneficial" predators (which worked well for me). Google it...a good site from UC is available.

o

Thanks. I'll give the "beneficial" predators a try.

o

Info at
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/GARDEN/FRUIT/PESTS/perseamite.html

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM on persea mite

o
RE: Leaf symptoms on Avocado -

More from UC IPM, but this for commercial growers. Even so, provides much more in the way of details

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r8400211.html

Here is a link that might be useful: persea mite -- commercial blurb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here