Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Royal Apricot

Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 0:51

Autumn Royal apricot is reported to ripen in my locale in September. Does any one care to report on this fruit? The LA Times reported that Autumn Royal is similar to Royal, but later. Is AR really that much later? September? Sounds too good to be true.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Royal Apricot

M...I have had an AR for ten years....with an average chill area of 350 hrs. It has performed poorly, and I can not recommend it unless you have much more chill. It sounded good on paper.....

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 12:26

Autumn Royal isn't recommended for areas with really hot summers due to pit burn. That was an issue with Royal Blenheim around Fresno when I lived there. I tried Earli Autumn and Autumn Glo in my greenhouse. Neither was worth eating.

The chart of recommended fruits for San Fernando actually looks pretty good. Better than most. But is missing some really good fruits that should work. Some even that you recommend: Arctic Star, Flavor King, Flavor Grenade, Summer Royal grape, etc.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 16:39

Yeah, I thought the L.E. Cooke chart looked pretty accurate. It does have omissions such as the ones you mention and O'Neal blueberry. On the other hand, the DWN chart doesn't mention Babcock or Desert Gold peach, or Royal apricot. These charts are good for talking one into a choice, rather than talking one out of a choice that is known to be good. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here