Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identifying Peach

Posted by TomAndJerryGardener none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 1:01

A few weeks ago I went to Dalian, China and while there I ate a peach. The outside of the peach was very dark and the inside of the peach was fully red. The Peach was fairly large. Ones anyone know what peach it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identifying Peach

Red flesh is one class of peach. The Chinese varieties are not found in the US but some common red-flesh US peach varieties are Indian Cling and Indian Free.

Scott

o

What does it mean by" one class "

o

I probably should have said one type of peach. Prunus persica, the peach, is one species and in it are several different types. Nectarines are another type, they are also prunus persica but are a particular genetic trait of that species. Red flesh is similarly a genetic trait found in some varieties of peach. There isn't just one variety of red fleshed peach, there are many varieties with that trait. None of the modern Chinese red-fleshed peach varieties can be found in the US, but other varieties with the red-fleshed trait can. The US varieties are children of peaches that came from China via Europe, all peaches originate in China.

If you want to learn more about the modern peach varieties in China, look at the book "The Peach: Botany, Production and Uses" in Google books, chapter 2 is on Chinese peaches. Some pages are not shown in the free preview but there is a fair amount available.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here