Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer raspberry crop stash!

Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 1:03

My wife eats about 20 a day, but I did manage to save some for cooking, and to coat with chocolate.
Most of the black raspberries were made into jam.
 photo 005-5.jpg

Looking forward to the fall crop!!
Today the big thing is tomatoes. I will be making sauce, but not with the cherries. Daily harvest is big, and I can't give enough away. Here's today's harvest
 photo 003-7.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer raspberry crop stash!

Yum! great job Drew51!

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 8:57

So far, our everbearing red raspberries are free of SWD, here in our yard, in Madison. But we had an infestation last summer, which ended the season for me-I simply cut down the canes to stop them from reproducing. I guess that the prolonged cold last winter killed the eggs. I wish I knew how to stop them for good, but I expect to see them come back sometime.

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 10:40

Yeah you need cultivars that fruit after they leave or before they come. Prelude and Himbo Top (summer crop)fruited early for me. I'll take note if any fall bearing bear late, but in WI, that might be a problem.

o

I'm getting fruit flies, maybe SWD, on my Triple Crown blackberries now. Since I was almost through with harvesting these, I'm going to go ahead dispose of the remaining fruit and clear the spent floricanes. I'll probably do the same for Oauchita as well, since they are just about done too. My Prime Ark 45's have a little bit of a floricane crop but the primocane (Fall) crop is probably at least 30 days out. Hopefully I'll be through the fruit fly season by then.

My Caroline primocane (Fall) crop is ripening now but is pretty light, so I'm not that concerned about these but it is making me think twice about whether I should make this a Fall crop only if it ripens in the middle of SWD season.

I'm really glad that most of my berry production was completed prior to the fruit fly season.

o

Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 11:53

I have yet to see them here, although reported in MI.

o

Those raspberry photos really inspire me!!! One of these days, if all goes well, my kitchen stove will look EXACTLY like yours! Great job, Drew.

o

Drew51,

How many different types of jam did you end up making from your raspberries and blackberries (if any survived last winter) this year? Can you tell a difference between varieties of the same type (e.g. red raspberries) in jam? I'm starting to think about next year's planning for production and wondered about making some changes to grow better (e.g. better production) varieties of raspberries. I was very pleased with Royalty for jam.

o

I really like the gold raspberries. If i didn't know they were gold, i'd think they were a big red raspberry. My reds are not ripe here and many of them are flowering (Caroline). My only problem with raspberries is that the canes are razor sharp and hurt!

o

Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 23:45

I was away for a bit, Well so far only the wild black mixed with domestic black. It was a huge batch, so waiting to make anymore till it's gone. My son said it was the best he ever tasted. I think the yellow taste different in jam than the red. On the reds I keep them all together, so cultivars are mixed. I usually don't make any jam out of the reds. I cook with them I do plan on making yellow raspberry jam, and jam out of double gold as they look different from all others. I'm going to need some from the fall crop to have enough. Many of my raspberries for the summer crop went to my daughter whom harvested them while I was on vacation. They peaked in production while I was gone, so she got as many as in the photo. My kids are 32 and 28 and no longer live with me.

Anyway I was thinking one could make a raspberry jam set of black, yellow, red, and Double Gold. Which are kind of pink/orange.

I never separated the reds for different tastes. And one could add purple and orange to the above.
Yellow caps (yellow black raspberries) may taste way different too.

o

Lovely stash, nice variation!
As for yellow, I grow Honey Queen,..all are in production now, the earliest started over 2 weeks ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey Queen

o

Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 12:43

I grow Honey Queen too, but to tell the truth I prefer Fall Gold. the article does not, but my direct comparison tells me otherwise. Of course all gardening is local. They may do better there than here. Berry size too, so far is not larger but smaller, again in contrast to the article.
My Honey Queen though is a young plant. Berry size could increase. Overall it is a decent cultivar and I have no plans to remove it. Again in contrast to the article it is rather productive here. It's not a good comparison IMHO as Fall Gold is everbearing, and Honey Queen is Summer bearing. The summer crop of Fall Gold was ripe before Honey Queen, again the article is incorrect if comparing summer crops. I suspect they meant the fall crop. The thing about Fall Gold is it delivers a huge summer crop, at least most years. This year was a light year. I think the hard winter is the reason. The floricanes were probably not 100% and suffered some damage.
Nice photo Konrad, wow, you must really have a huge crop! Looks great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here