Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Standard Peach - Pruning to Maintain Size

Posted by Towsonite 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 1:04

I was given an Elberta peach tree, and it's a standard (non-dwarf) variety. The height is expected to be 15 to 20 feet and width 8 to 20 according to specs. I would have preferred a tree that's 10 to 12 high and 12 to 15 wide, but it's hard to beat free. From what I've read about peach trees, there is a lot of annual pruning that's going to be involved. Will I, through regular annual pruning, be able to keep the tree in my preferred range without causing issues? Height is the bigger concern.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Standard Peach - Pruning to Maintain Size

Yes you will be able to control the height of the tree.

Once you set the framework/shape of he tree by pruning when it is young, summer pruning will control the size.

Remember, generally speaking, winter(dormant) pruning leads to vigorous growth while summer pruning will reduce vigor and lead to more fruit wood formation.

There is a huge amount of info out there. Search "summer pruning fruit trees", "summer pruning peach trees" you will have enough info to take up the entire winter to plan your moves.

Mike

o

Deleted duplicate
Mike

This post was edited by mes111 on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 10:15

o

M has given you good info. Also, keep in mind that peaches bear fruit on last year's wood. Because of that...consider "thinning" cuts rather than "heading" cuts on your pruning.

o

Thank you for your responses. In truth, I'd rather keep the tree even small than described above. I suppose I didn't want to sound ridiculous in the initial post. Do you believe with a tree of this variety I can keep it, let's say within step ladder height for a normal human being (of which I am, height-wise at least)? 8 to 9 feet high or is that pushing it?

I did notice there were a ton of posts on peach tree pruning. I'll take a look through them as everyone suggests.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

o

Absolutely... you can keep it at 8-9 feet.

There is a "summer pruning" video on Dave Wilson's Nursery. The link is attached. It should eliminate any "fear" you might have.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: summer pruning

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here