Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nick Botner selling property

Posted by milehighgirl CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 1:05

I was trying to find a place to get scion for Collete apple when I ran across a post on http://www.wagonwheelorchard.blogspot.com stating that Nick Botner is retiring. Sure enough I found his property listed on Zillow. Ugh, someone got a spare $1.6M to keep the legacy going?

"Absolutely unique national treasure! World-renowned variety of fruit trees. 10 acre orchard with 4,000 apples, 500 grapes, 500 pears, 160 cherries, 130 plums, and more!. Absolute one of a kind property, with everything needed to carry the tradition forward. 10+ acres of timber, with pasture & woodlands. 2568 sq ft home, built in 1991 with stunning views of the property."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nick Botner selling property

I know what I'd do if I won the lottery! To bad I never buy tickets.

o

Yes, it's been for sale for quite a while. Thankfully it is over-priced and will take a bit longer to sell. We've been trying to find a "fruit" sort of buyer for him, but so far, no bites.

If I had put in all the efforts he has, I'd be pricing it that high too.

But in all honesty, I've got way more than I can handle with 800 varieties of apples and 50 varieties of pears. I can't imagine curating a collection of 4,000 apples. This is the sort of thing that needs to be handled by an institution.

If I was a multi-millionaire I'd buy it and create an institution to save the heritage collection.

o

Yeah...no one person is tackling that forest... That would require a team. Can't believe some internet millionaire hasn't picked it up yet.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 16:44

The Home Orchard Society out of Portland is trying to propagate to preserve as much as they can, but it is an enormous task.

o

When I called on the phone he would take the time to talk to me and answer questions, just as if he had all the time in the world. He sent me more varieties than I had ordered and even sent me a refund check because he was out of what I had ordered.

Axel is right, it would take an institution to handle what he was doing. What an amazing legacy he has created.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here