Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northwoodswis4

Romance Series bush cherries.

northwoodswis4
13 years ago

Has anyone found anywhere that the Romance Series bush cherries developed in Saskatchewan (other than the Carmen Jewel) are available in the U.S. yet? I have been patiently waiting for nurseries here to carry them, but have found none that actually have done so yet, other than St. Lawrence Nurseries of New York, which had the Crimson Passion a couple years back, but has not sold them since. I am wondering if they do not grow as well here or have bug problems away from the prairies.

Northwoodswis

Comments (58)

• northwoodswis4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got one of my Carmen Jewels this spring from Henry Fields on clearance for $9, after a tip from a contributor to this forum. It is growing fine. The other two were from Gurneys last fall and the previous fall. I don't think many other places in the U.S. carry them, so you have to have faith sometimes. Northwoodswis

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

Gurneys wants $29 for what sounds like a very small plant. You got a bargain.

Rosefolly

• thisisme
    13 years ago

rosefolly if you check Dave's Garden Watchdog there are complaints about paying something like $ 39.00 for a large CJ and getting a lone 6" tall stick smaller around than a pencil.

Its a novelty and I would love to have one. However when I can get a 3/4" X 5' tree of another variety for $ 14.99-19.99 from a highly reputable nursery there is no way I'm going to pay that much for a tiny twig from a nursery with a bad reputation.

I want a Hansen's Bush Cherry and a Joel Bush Cherry too.

• lkz5ia
    13 years ago

I got the henry field's carmine jewel deal earlier this spring, too. They are small plants when they come, but they grow fast.

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

I read last year somewhere on the internet that Garden's Alive bought exclusive rights for distribution of these cherries in US and they will be available some time soon through Gurneys and Henri Fields. Was hoping that "soon" means 2011, but looks like new G and HF catalogs don't have them. Couldn't find the link where I read it too :(
    Olga

• theaceofspades
    13 years ago

I had bookmarked the bush cherry link. I have two Carmine Jewel ans Crimson passion and would like the others. If some one does e-mail Gurneys let us know when they expect the Romance series of bush cherries to go on sale.

Boughen in Canada sells the series.
    http://www.boughennurseries.net/index.php?pageid=8&categoryid=73

Here is a link that might be useful: Bush cherries

• bob_z6
    13 years ago

According to the below URL, they started USDA testing 2 years ago and it is a 2+ year process. So, they could soon be ready to start propagating the new varieties. I'm not sure how long it takes them, but I would guess fall at the earliest.

The more important question for me is the one Northwoodswis asked in August- are these pest-free only when grown in the far-north prairie? Do they face insect and/or disease issues (plum curculio?) in warmer climates, similar to other cherry trees? If so, are they more like a sweet cherry (lots of issues) or a sour cherry (a few issues, but can be grown with no-spray)? I'm not far off from Theaceofspades, so I may have a similar experience.

US Sales Info:
    http://www.fruit.usask.ca/articles/Availability%20of%20SK%20cherries%20in%20US2010.pdf

Good info:
    http://www.fruit.usask.ca/dwarfsourcherries.html

• theaceofspades
    13 years ago

St Lawrence has 18" - 36" CJ plants for $15.

Here is a link that might be useful: CJ Bush cherries

• northwoodswis4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. I especially appreciated those links from Bob. I see that this year Jungs have finally introduced to the U.S. the long-awaited Borealis and Tundra haskaps from Saskatchewan, so maybe in 2012 Gurneys or Henry Fields will introduce more of the Romance Cherry Series. Meanwhile, I am impatiently waiting to see how my three little Carmen Jewel bushes will do in 2011. Northwoodswis4

• theaceofspades
    13 years ago

Sorry northwoods I didn't see your question. "the bush cherries are susceptible to the same insect pests as the tree cherries? Are they just avoiding the pests in the prairies, because these cherries are a new development there?"

Bush cherries ripen just after peak PC season. My bush cherries had PC marks and I seen PC's on the bushes. I was surprised I read Saskatchewan bush cherries had resistance to bugs. The PC outbreak occurred here just last season they were very rare before. In the -40 F prairies in Saskatchewan I don't think they have PC or oriental fruit moth. Plum Curculio are N. American natives and I know that wild cherries are on their menu. I got a can of Imidan for next season I am not sharing any great tasting cherries.

I am going to graft CJ and CP onto native wild cherries around my property and I'll post what takes. Happy new year

• northwoodswis4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

While the bushes are small, I wonder if one could cover them with those spun garden fabric covers that are sold for frost protection or else with some mosquito netting at the time when PCs peak? I need to try grafting. I have several wild cherries to experiment on. Northwoodswis4

• fruithack
    13 years ago

You've gotta play the Game with Fields and Gurneys. They always have a $25 off of $50 purchase coupon on the front of their catalogs. So order a Carmine Jewel for$30, add on some veg seeds or horseradish till you're at $51 and get half off the whole thing plus about $10 shipping equals $36-$40. I've ordered from them for years with no problems. The CJ cherry plants are small but take off like rockets.

• bob_z6
    13 years ago

Even with the 50% off, Gurney's comes out about the same as St. Lawrence Nurseries (29.99/2 vs $15). Two other things to consider:

1.) SLN has a much higher customer feedback rating per the Garden Watchdog (89% vs 40%).

2.) I'm not sure if the $25 for $50 offer scales beyond $50 (1.666 plants), but even if it does, you will likely have to get something else to reach the exact threshold (except if there is a $150 (5*30) for $75 offer, etc).

Bob

• northwoodswis4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have patronized Gurneys, SLN, Henry Fields, Jungs, and many others over the years. Gurneys and Fields have now instituted a lifetime guarantee, so if they offer a product, I opt for them, since I have had items die shortly after the guarantees expire with several items from various nurseries in the past. Often the scrawny trees or bushes have fared better than the large, healthy ones, probably due to less transplanting shock. I have had better success with getting the item requested with Gurneys than with Henry Fields. I have also done well shopping judiciously for bushes and perennials at Walmart, though I know many would poo-poo shopping there. Northwoodswis4

• bob_z6
    13 years ago

I asked SLN about the Crimson Passion and received the following response. I guess I'll have to give the Carmine Jewel a year's head-start, as it doesn't appear that any of the others in the series are available in the US.

"We did offer Crimson Passion one year, but were unable to get any for a couple of years afterward (this year included.)
    We are supposed to be getting a shipment of tiny starts of both Crimson Passion and Carmine Jewel this coming Spring, which would probably be ready for sale in 2012."

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

Justlearned that Crimson Passion is available in US now from the Honeberry company. This is great, I read somewhere that Gardens Alive has monopoly for the distribution of these cherries in US. Looks like we have more choices.
    Olga

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeyberry

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I got an email from them this morning. Something about it not being proper to promote themselves on Garden Web so they just emailed everyone who posted in this thread.lol

Like I'm going to order from a company that sends me an email that I have never heard of. No reviews at the Garden Watchdog or anywhere else I could find.

Its a little harder to get my money than to read a thread and email me saying they have what I'm interested in.

Anyone read a press release anywhere that this company has legitimate import and sales rights here in the US other than from their own site? If they are a new company that would at least comfort me a little.

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

I actually ordered two plants. One for me and one for my sister. Consider me a first tester. If this is a new company, there will be no reports on Watchdog. Somebody has to give them a try. If everybody will wait for the reports, new companies will never get a chance.
    Olga

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Thanks Olga, somebody has to do it and that somebody is you. Let us all know when the trees arrive. It can take a couple years for them to fruit which is the real test. Even so just knowing that something arrives and is healthy is also good to know.

• chills71
    13 years ago

I wanted to order from them (primarily Haskaps as I already have Crimson Passion and Carmine Jewel) but was put off by their shipping charge. $20 for what would likely be a 3 inch potted plant.... Maybe $10 for 2 plants, and that's still making money shipping priority.

They also sell plants on ebay

~Chills

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Good find Chills. He does sell on eBay. He only has feedbacks for 3 sales. None of which are for plant products. Even so he has been an eBay member for a long time (10 years) with 100% positive feedback. To me that shows character which leads me to believe he can be trusted. Still as you say the shipping is very high. I have paid less to ship 3-4 trees and he's selling itty bitty trees in 3" pots. I still want one though. Don't think I will be buying one soon but I do want one.

I really wish someone would just send me some Carmine Jewel seeds. I know they are under patent but there has been plenty of legal precedent that says that plant patents only apply to grafting and cloning, not to growing out seeds. If memory serves Monsanto lost a big case last year. Someone was selling their patented product that grew true from seed. They sued saying it was a perfect genetic match and therefor a clone and still lost because it was grown from seed.

• bob_z6
    13 years ago

Earlier this afternoon, I placed an order for 3 Crimson Passion and 1 Carmine Jewel. Since I'll also receive 3 Carmine Jewel from SLN (also in April), I should be able to compare the stock and share the results.

This will put me a bit over in terms of what I can hold in my yard, but I'm sure my parents will be interested in a couple bushes. I'll make sure to keep one CJ from each vedor side-by-side.

• northwoodswis4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We will be eager to learn your results. Remember, the winner of the test isn't who has the biggest-looking bush upon arrival of the bush, but which one produces first and best! It is hard for me to be patient in waiting for the cherries. My first Carmen Jewel was planted in fall of 2008, so maybe this will be the year. Mine were just little scrawny sticks to start with, but eventually they grow and thrive. A scrawny stick is better than nothing, which is what I have of the other Saskatchewan cherries so far. I keep reading about them on the Net and feeling like I am viewing forbidden fruit. Waaah! Northwoodswis

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Seeds don't come true to plant...you need plant material, the one's you
    buy are tissue cultured, also, suckers can be dug up and transplanted.

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

I got my Crimson Passion plants today. They are small but healthy and happy looking. In size they are comparable to Carmine Jewel plants I got from Gurneys several years ago.
    We have terrible weather today, so had to wait with planting.
    Olga

• bob_z6
    13 years ago

I also received mine yesterday. By the time they arrived, the rain had started, so I put off planting until this morning.

Comparison-

St Lawrence Nursery- I ordered 3 Carmine Jewel around New Years and they arrived on 3/30 as bare root plants. They were around 20" tall. Each had a decent root system and 2 of the 3 had multiple stems. I planted 1 on 3/31, potted one, and gave the 3rd to my parents.

Pics:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/104632462324046156177/Plants#5596716673532320914

Honeyberry USA- I ordered 1 Carmine Jewel and 3 Crimson Passion in late March. As noted above, they arrived yesterday in a very small box. The tips of each was bent a bit from the box- not a big deal (I think), which should work itself out. Each of the plants is 8-10" tall, with a single stem. I've planted the CJ and 2 of the CP (3rd CP is for my parents). Honeyberry USA was good about communicating- they sent an order confirmation and later asked which ship date was preferred- 4/11 or 5/2.

Pics:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/104632462324046156177/Plants#5596716798342230658

As Northwoodswis4 noted above, the test isn't complete until we see which grows fastest and produces first. I've planted them next to each other, so they should be growing under similar circumstances. Even though the CJ from SLN was planted 17 days earlier, I don't think much has happened during that time- it is just starting to awaken.

• dissident
    12 years ago

I ordered crimson passion and caramine jewel from here, they say they have plenty available..

http://www.edibleforestnursery.com/index.htm

will let you know what they look like when they get here. Perfect for my climate.

• bob_z6
    12 years ago

It's been just over a month, so I figured I'd give an update. The HBU plants seem to be catching up with the SLN ones. The HBU plants were tiny, but they were potted vs the larger bare-root ones from SLN. As you can see in the pictures (see link below), the SLN plants are doing OK, but there appears to be some winter dieback- they were well branched, but some of those branches still haven't gotten leaves, while other parts of it have had small leaves for at least a week or two, without getting much bigger. The CJ and CP which came in tiny pots (HBU) have put on good growth- roughly a 50% increase. I think the ones from SLN may still be bigger, but they don't look as vigorous. I'll update this again either this fall or next spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Updated Pics

• themindway
    12 years ago

Wow, this is the first time in my life that it's been easier to be in Canada when shopping! I purchase one of both Romeo and Juliet cherry shrubs this year from a place in Ontario. They looked great and were a nice size and bushy, but a rabbit has taken about 2/3 of the foliage this week! I've put up a barrier, but I need advice on keeping them alive and healthy. I may have to give up on fruit this year which is really annoying because I'm so impatient with my plants.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and has the plant survived? It's only been a few days since this happened so the remaining plant still looks healthy.

• theaceofspades
    12 years ago

Springhill Nursery had CJ on sale for 7.99 April 20, I bought four potted 10-12" plants for gifts. The 4 are transplanted in two gallon pots and are hanging in there.

• theaceofspades
    12 years ago

Gurneys has CJ for $7.5 this Memorial day weekend.

Here is a link that might be useful: sale

• strudeldog_gw
    12 years ago

Ace,

Where do you se 7.5 show up 29.99 for me on that link

• kr222
    12 years ago

Gurney's does have CJ at $7.50 this weekend. $10 for the premium pot. I purchased one a few days ago at $12. Ugh. I did notice that if you have a coupon code (Ex. $20 off $40 purchase) the Memorial Day sale prices don't show up. You either can use a coupon or get the sale price, but not both. It was really tough for me to get rid of the coupon code to see the sale prices. I wish I knew they were going to have a sale a few days earlier. They shipped mine the day the sale started.
    Kim

• lindsgarden
    12 years ago

Dissident - Have you gotten your order from Edible Forest yet?

I am waiting for my order of Carmine Jewel and Crimson Passion to come. Should be here in the next week or so! I will post my experience when the plants arrive.

• lindsgarden
    12 years ago

I got my order of Carmine Jewel and Crimson Passion last week from Edible Forest Nursery. Everything arrived looking healthy and in small pots. Plants were about 6-8in tall.

The plants are in the ground now and are being shaded by lawn chairs since I am thinking it is likely they were greenhouse grown.

• thisisme
    12 years ago

I just ordered two Carmine Jewel bush cherries from Fedco Trees at $ 16.00 apiece. They also carry Crimson Passion and Nanking and Western Sandcherry.

They did not post anything about the size of the bush so I'm expecting something small but healthy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carmine Jewel

• northwoodswis4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am glad to find several companies offering Crimson Passion this year. From what I have read, it appears that CP is not as vigorous as the Carmen Jewel. I already have three CJs that have yet to fruit. My main reason for planting a CP would be for staggered harvest, since it appears that the fruit doesn't differ much. Have any of you in zone 4 or warmer grown both and noticed a difference in the fruit taste or harvest window? How about pests? Thanks. Northwoodswis

• thisisme
    12 years ago

I just received an email from UPS that two orders from Fedco Trees are scheduled to be delivered April 6th. I only remember placing one order and Fedco never sent me an order conformation for my tree order/orders.

Looking forward to seeing what size the Carmine Jewel's are. Days are already in the high 80's to low 90's here. Sure wish they had arrived in December or January. I'm not complaining because I knew they could come this late. Just wish they would have come when conditions were more favorable. I will just have to baby these babies.

• theaceofspades
    12 years ago

Carmine Jewel on sale for $7.99

Yes it is going to be a twig. Years ago I bought a few on sale they grow in pots nicely. Make great gifts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Springhill nursery

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

That's a good price, I ordered a Crimson Passion and Cupid locally for $28.95ea.

Just be aware...some of these sour cherries don't set fruit much in climate zone 6 or warmer.

Posted by alcan_nw z1 AK (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 21:45

In regard to fruiting the dwarf cherries I would say NO. I have tested a couple of the cousins to Carmine Jewel to 5 foot tall. They bloom good but have a very weak fruit set rate. So this applies to Southern Washington west of the Cascades. I have tried Evans and the fruit set was just as bad or even worse. It seems that some stone hardy fruits just need the cold winters to produce properly.

• theaceofspades
    12 years ago

Konrad, that's interesting about the low fruit set. My bushes reached 5 foot in only their third season with good/ok fruit set following. I've read production ramps up each season. I would like to see more fruit, still the bushes looked nice covered in red cherries.

Last year I was hoping for a full crop on my now seven foot CJ and CP bushes. Last season all cherries, sweets, sours, were rotted out here, and across much of northern US. A bad year for all cherries.

Set will be only in two more months to tell if production is improved with maturity.

• thisisme
    12 years ago

The two Carmine Jewel cherries arrived on the 6th as promised. Both had started to leaf out in transit. They are in the 12-14 inch range and were sent in what look like 4-6 ounce pots. Temps will be in the mid 90's next week and will be 100+ every day soon. I put them each in 1.5 gallon pots under lights. With brutal weather not far away I have no plans of planting these outdoors in full sun until mid November.

• olga_6b
    11 years ago

Konrad, where did you read/heard that some tart cherries don't set fruits well in zone 6 or higher? Do you have any references? I would like to read more on this topic. I am on the border of 6B and 7A zones. According to new map I am in zone 7A. Cherries (Meteor, North Star, Morello, etc) usually set fruit quite well here. My Carmine Jewel is loaded this spring (knock on wood). And this was unusually warm winter.
    Olga

• theaceofspades
    11 years ago

My two bush cherries produced a good crop. Crimson Passion was a better cropper and has more fruit than last season. The wacky warm winter made the sweet cherries start early and the cherries failed. So these bush cherries have been more reliable.

I have seeds in the fridge rooting out in a bag of potting soil. Email me if you want growing seeds. These will vary from the parents. How much I am not sure. Should be good for wildlife plants at least.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Well, I am undertaking the "great experiment", here in zone 10a. I have a Carmine Jewel already planted, and it is doing very nicely - very happy here, grew very nicely for the first season. My Crimson Passion I had also purchased at the same time, never really took off in the pot, and ended up dying, so I've got two Crimson Passion on order from Fedco that will go in, in April (VERY late in the season for us here in S. California). I am very curious to see if I can get them to set fruit. I have a rather unusual micro-climate here at 985', but just 6-7 miles from the ocean. I get a pretty large number of chill hours (relatively speaking) for my area, and I am going to see if I get any cherries from these two sour varieties. I also have an Evans as well that I planted last year that also settled in nicely. I will report back to see if I can get fruit set. Not holding my breath, but they were reasonable, and I have a little room for them, so giving it a try. Ace, how long have you had your CP and CJ in the ground, how long did it take for you to see a crop?

Patty S.

• steve_in_los_osos
    11 years ago

Patty, how did you ever get an out-of-state vendor to ship any kind of cherry to California?!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

The vendor can if they are willing to jump through all the inspection hoops. Many vendors are simply giving up with California's intensely strict requirements, but I was able to place the order with Fedco (no mention anywhere on their site that they do not ship to California), as well as the folks at Honeyberry USA. They will also ship to California. So far, anyway!

Patty S.

• nomadcat
    11 years ago

I don't have the catalog with me right now, but i am pretty sure fedco in maine has both of these.

• steve_in_los_osos
    11 years ago

Yes, they do. I ordered the "Crimson Passion" last night (Happy New Year!). As a retired chemist I have an "experimenter" streak, as well :-)