Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Luisa plum

Posted by plumstupid 6A MO (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 2:40

Hey guys I just ordered a luisa plum for next season and was wondering if any of you guys had any information on it. I'm really curious as to what I need to pollinate it and what kind of sprays and pruning it will require and anything else you may know. Thanks guys.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Luisa plum

PS,

I found this on the web. Hope this help you. "'Luisa' Plum, Description:This newly released self-fertile, yellow fleshed plum is exceptionally sweet and juicy. Distinctive elongated-heart shape. Having some disease resistance makes this cultivar easier to grow organically. Maturity: Estimated +35 days ‘Santa Rosa'. Pollination:Reported to be self-fertile. Mid-season bloom. Generally crops well. Comments: A Japanese-type plum that is reported to be self-fertile. Consider growing this in your backyard!
Culture: Reported from overseas to show some resistance to Xanthomonas campestris pv. pruni (bacterial spot)"

Tony

o

Most Japanese plums are fairly similar to grow so just read up on how to grow a Japanese plum.

Where did you get this variety? Its only showing up in New Zealand when I search for it.

Scott

o

Hey guys I oredered it from raintree. Everything I've seen has it listed as a Euro plum, but other than that we all found the same info. Looks like I will just have to grow this one and find out because I don't think anyone else is growing it.

o

Hey guys I just wanted to post a follow up on my plum. It grew well and seems to be a very spreading tree with pretty good vigor. Did anyone else purchase this tree this year?

o

Plum

Plz update us with your taste result down the road. I am alway looking for something new to plant.

Tony

o

Will do Tony. I was really hoping someone else from Australia, New Zealand or even USA that had grown it would chime in. The only reason I even bought this plum was I bought some plums at a Wal-Mart a few years ago that had a very distinct shape and the best plum I have ever eaten. The shape was unlike any I had ever seen, heart shaped yellow with some red blushing and very long tip on them. I grow several plums and I can say it tasted nothing like any plum I've tried. It was very sweet and aromatic with almost a peach flavor. So of course I spent weeks looking over the web trying to find it and the only match for the shape and flavor descriptions was Louisa and Rain Tree had just started offering it. Well I will try to update this on occasion, and if this ends up being the same plum I tasted from Wal-Mart I'm sure others will want to grow it as well and if not I guess I will just have yet another plum tree.

o

Raintree now classifies it as a Japanese plum. I wonder what its chill requirements are...where in New Zealand (and Australia?) it has been grown?

Parentage is apparently unknown and it is classified as a European plum (it does have the flattened look from photos) by some, though its behavior appears more Japanese plum:
http://www.naturalhub.com/grow_fruit_cultivars_plum_new_zealand.htm

Looks like an early ripening, odd shaped large plum with a small flattened pit! Great flesh to pit ratio!
http://www.kings.co.nz/in-the-garden/plant-of-month/july

http://www.wairere.co.nz/Fruit_and_Nuts/Plum?mi=0&fo=&pc=&id=&gid=Plum&col=&show=10&skiprow=20&search=

http://www.flemings.com.au/fruit_details.asp?CULT_ID=LUISA

http://www.rolgc.co.nz/plants-we-grow/fruit-trees/

Here is a link that might be useful: Luisa plum at Raintree

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Wed, Dec 3, 14 at 11:55

o

The first year raintree offered it they listed it as a European plum but this year it's listed as a Japanese so who knows. I've only grown Japanese plums so hopefully it isn't a euro because I don't have a pollinator. Based on the size of the fruit and description I'm going to assume it is Japanese though. It is on Myro 29C and I was curious if anyone had any experience with this rootstock and if there was anything I needed to know about it.

o

Plumstupid Hello, I have great experience with the rootstock Myrobalan 29-C.
It is a very compatible rootstock with all varieties of apricots and the varieties of plums Japanese, American and European.
In terms of their behavior in soil, tolerates all soil types (heavy soils, sandy, calcareous) but misbehaves in very moist soils.

If this were the case, we recommend using the Marianna rootstock GF-81 (It is available in the US), is a magnificent rootstock for plum.
It has the following advantages:

Marianna GF-81

- Resistance to cold winter "good"
- Adaptation to Different Types of Soil "very good"
- Resistant to iron chlorosis "very good"
- Resistant to Choking Root "very good"
- anchorage to soil "good"
- Resistance to nematodes "very tough"
- Tolerance to Agrobacterium tumefasiens "moderately strong"
- Resistance to root rot, "resistant" and moderately resistant to Verticillium albo-Airum and Armillaria mellea

So if your soil is not too wet, the rootstock Mirabolan 29-c is right, but if your soil is very wet "encharcadizo" then the appropriate rootstock is Marianna GF-81

Best Regards
Jose

o

Thanks for the information Jose. The soil where my fruit trees are planted drains well so I should be ok. Do you know if there is any problems with suckering with myro 29c?

o

Hello again Plumstupid. If your soil drains well the water , don't hesitate a moment, the rootstock mirobolan 29-C , is the most suitable for you .
Not emits no rebound , the only drawback to , is that the first two years, this rootstock have a slow growth compared with other rootstocks , but from the third year develops very well giving a magnificent productions .

Plumstupid , i'm going send to you an e-mail for talk in private.

A great greeting
Jose

o

Hello again Plumstupid. If your soil drains well the water , don't hesitate a moment, the rootstock mirobolan 29-C , is the most suitable for you .
Not emits no rebound , the only drawback to , is that the first two years, this rootstock have a slow growth compared with other rootstocks , but from the third year develops very well giving a magnificent productions .

Plumstupid , i'm going send to you an e-mail for talk in private.

A great greeting
Jose

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 20:28

"In terms of [Myrobolan 29c] behavior in soil, tolerates all soil types (heavy soils, sandy, calcareous) but misbehaves in very moist soils."

I believe you are mistaken Jose. Myro (whether the seedling or the 29c clone) actually tolerates water-logged soils quite well and is recommended for wet soils.

Not only have I read this quite often, it also matches my experience growing plums on Myro. I've put them in wet enough spots which would kill or stunt most other fruit trees and Myro seems to do fine.

I wouldn't plant them in a bog, but if the soil gets a little water-logged, Myro should do fine.

o

Hey Olpea thanks for the info. I always enjoy reading your posts because you are pretty close to my area and your knowledge helps me out a lot. If you have any advice on plum culture in our area feel free to post or email me. I don't really have much to share this year but would you ever be willing to trade scion wood?

o

Olphea, the rootstock mirabolan 29-c is very good (I use it as a rootstock in my orchard), and these are their general characteristics:

Mirabolan 29 - C Selected seedlings California obtained by pollination free Prunus cerasifera. It is the most used in that US state.
By culture in vitro It spreads well and by cuttings (pre-treatment with AIB 2000 ppm).the trees grafted in the first 3 to 4 years slow growth, and its poor anchorage
in those early years.
It adapts well to different soil types From the heavy, moist until sandy.
To the varieties grafted on it, gives them a force of medium to low. It has a good affinity with Most varieties of Japanese and European plums , and the apricots . Is resistant to M. incognita and M. javanica
, But is sensitive to Pratylenchus vulnus
It is moderately resistant to the Agrobacterium tumefasiens
to Verticillium spp. and Phytophthora spp
. This rootstock is suitable for variety
is vigorous planted in fertile soil.

This makes for very good rootstock (to me is personally one rootstock which I love), but in more difficult terrain conditions, the Marianna GF-81, is more resistant than the rootstock Mirabolan 29-c.
This is what I wanted to explain to plumstupid.
For this reason when he told me that your soil drains well, I tell you that the rootstock mirabolan 29-C , It is suitable rootstock.

Best regards
Jose

o

Hello again Olphea.
Look, in situations like that you will see in the picture, is where the rootstock Marianna GF-81 marks the difference from the rootstock Mirabolan 29-C (this is an extreme case), but it is a significant example of the issue we are trying .

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/333d0ty.jpg[/IMG]

I know this is not your case or the case of plumstupid, but as this question I have made more than once , i wanted to put in value the twoo rootstocks.

There are and another very good rootstock for the apricot and plum that brings dwarfing character , confers earliness to the grafted variety and greater size of the fruit ,and is extremely resistant to Water Logging .
Is the rootstock Adesoto © Puebla de Soto ( in a clone improved of the rootstock San Julian , that you have in the United States ) , the latter is a rootstock magnificent , but has a huge problem, and is that emits many sprouts .

The world of the rootstocks is infinite hahaha

Best regards
Jose

o

Sorry guys, but this forum is using a different code to upload images, this is the photo I wanted to attach

subir imagenes

Best regards
Jose

o

Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 22:43

Jose,

I can't imagine plum trees surviving very long submerged in that water, regardless of rootstock.

Here in the Midwest, we don't have many of the issues you mention. All the pathogenic nematodes you mention are pretty much non-existent here. Likewise, I've never seen Verticillium wilt in peach trees (probably because there aren't nematodes to work in synergy w/ Verticillium). I've never heard of "choking root".

For myself, I don't like Marianna. It doesn't exhibit any advantages to me in this climate, and it suckers much more than Myro.

Plumstu,

What part of MO are you at?

o

I'm 60 miles south east of kc.

o

Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 16:05

Plum,

That would put you around Bulter or Clinton? Maybe I've asked you before where you live. I can't remember. I have a small orchard in Belton, MO, and a backyard orchard at my house Stilwell KS.

Let me know if you are coming through sometime this winter and I can get you some plum scion wood if you want. Google Tubby Fruits for my Website. You can email me through that.

o

Hey thanks a lot olpea. I will get in contact with you soon.

o

I'm near Clinton by the way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here