Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will all my kiwi seedlings that are grown from seeds be female?

Posted by leef4 none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 2:54

I tried experimenting with the seeds of a kiwifruit that I bought from a supermarket. I attempted to grow kiwi plants from them, and now the seeds have sprouted and they already have their first pair of leaves. I don't exactly know the variety of the fruit that I bought, but it's most probably Hayward. I found out that Hayward is a female variety, so I would like to ask if the seedlings that I grew from the seeds will also be all female. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will all my kiwi seedlings that are grown from seeds be femal

They will be both male and female, I believe, but there is no way to determine until they bloom.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 10:54

In plants that have male and female all seeds come from the female.

o

Murky - although all of the seeds come from the female, the seeds contain both male and female DNA and gender selection should depends upon the DNA in the individual seed. Otherwise, where would the male plants come from?

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 15:04

Charlie, the point that I was making indirectly is that the idea that the seeds would produce females because the donor fruit is from a female must be flawed because, like you say, where would the male plants come from.

All seeds come from the fruit. There are male and female trees. Only the females produce fruit. Thus all sexually produced male and female offspring must come from the seed of female trees.

o

It works the same as with people. You need a male to fertilize female flowers and females produce offspring (fruit), which will be somewhat different from both parents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here