Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant?

Posted by awed 6a NY (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 3:08

Hi,

I have been seed saving when I eat fruit and vegetables. And sometimes I put seeds on pots. I wonder if this is watermelon that I planted?

It started growing a couple of weeks ago.

If it is, how big a pot do these need to produce fruit?

Thanks for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant?

got any other pics, it can be a fig tree, a melon, a squash, or an empress tree. how old is it?

o

Not a watermelon, looks kindof like a bush squash.

o

I agree, not a watermelon. Looks like a melon of some sort or a gourd.

o

Some kind of Cucurbit, squash or pumpkin.

o

You might be stuck with that smallish pot--those vine-vegetable types of plants do not like transplanting.

Besides the size of the pot, the plant needs to develop both male and female flowers at the same time and may need hand-pollination unless there are bees about. Then it will be so late in the season the plant will need to be in a warm room with lots of light.

o

Thanks for all the replies! It may well be some kind of gourd I planted. There was a neat one I found at the farmer's market (it tasted like cucumber to me when I ate some raw). I planted some of those seeds in one pot.

I actually did transplant the entire smaller pot into a larger pot. But it's still a fairly small pot. We will see if it moves into the larger pot with its roots. Nice to look at at least.

I took a few more photos.

I don't know when this plant started sprouting, but the big-leaf growth has been within the last two weeks, in Western NY (so, late July).

Maybe I will be able to share more info as it grows bigger.

o

And here is one more of the flowers that are growing:

o

Hmm, the images are small here. Here is the full size one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Full size

o

a Cucurbit for sure

o

Thanks. This might have been something like the gourd I'm thinking of:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-f3gxBAO4crM/TkNHbuF3XxI/AAAAAAAAFuQ/nhNfin3xat4/s1600/P8100065.JPG

This page is nice, but I haven't read it fully, if anyone is interested in cucurbits:

http://athinkingstomach.blogspot.com/2011/08/cucurbit-sex.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here