Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground Cherries the size of peas?

Posted by Brandon_the_Random 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 3:11

As the name implies, I thought my ground cherries would be the size of actual cherries or at least cherry tomatoes. However, they're ripening and turning yellow when the fruit inside is the size of a pea. There's a bunch of pods, but what should I do to get larger cherries next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground Cherries the size of peas?

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 21:29

They should as the plant becomes bigger produce slightly bigger fruit. Mine are larger than peas, at first they were small.
Here's a photo, and you can see the ground cherries in the bowl At left, wood bowl has cherries still in paper lanterns, white bowl has husked cherries. At top is a square container with cherry tomatoes (Sungold). As you can see, i know not that well, they are only slightly smaller. Maybe it's the cultivar? Mine are Aunt Molly.
 photo 002-10.jpg

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 23:38

o

Don't let the poor name of "ground cherry" fool you! Think of these as tiny yellow cherry tomatoes, with more of a fruity character...

I think size has the most to do with the species (there are quite a few) and variety… but don't worry about the size as much as the taste, by far the best (sweetest) ones I've had have been the smaller types. The largest are tomatillos, which don't have much sweetness, but rather a nice acidic taste and used like tomatoes.

o

As others have said, this is normal. The variety Goldie has slightly larger fruit. In addition, give the plants plenty of space - crowding tends to result in smaller fruits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here