Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach leaf curl disappears... how to keep trees healthy?

Posted by Central_Valley 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 4:32

We have two apricot trees on our property, both of which appear to have grown back from stumps. Each year they set a few fruit, which shriveled before it ripened. We never got a professional diagnosis, but the symptoms were a good match for peach leaf curl. Due to the other demands on our time, we never got around to giving these trees any care.

This year both trees staged a miraculous recovery. There was no sign of leaf damage. Each tree bore dozens or hundreds of fruit, much of which has ripened normally.

What are these trees' prospects? Having had one healthy year, are they likely to continue to do well unless something re-infects them? Or is this a one-time event, unlikely to repeat itself unless Mother Nature repeats the conditions (whatever they were) that made it happen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach leaf curl disappears... how to keep trees healthy?

A dormant copper or chlorothalanil spray should keep them leaf curl free. Leaf curl is a sporadically appearing disease. Some years it is completely absent without spraying. As always, consult your local ag extension office for general recommendations like this for home gardeners.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 10:18

Central Valley,

Apricots don't get peach leaf curl. Something else is going on w/ your apricots (not sure what).

o

O is correct. Apricot trees often are difficult to fruit unless there is adequate chill for the variety you are growing. My apricots have been very sketchy in my SoCal weather.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here