Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating blueberries?

Posted by ajsmama 5b (NW CT) (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 7:17

I have some wild highbush blueberries I'd like to propagate, also my great-uncle has a lot of old bushes that are very productive (with annual pruning), I don't know if the varieties are commercially available any more. I was going to try to dig up some shoots and separate with a sharp shovel or even loppers after exposing the root. I have to dig some raspberries out of his patch and move them anyway, and I'm sure once we get in there (it's really grown up since last year) and clean out all the milkweed, grapevines, blackberries, etc. we'll find new blueberry shoots.

But he didn't seem keen on the idea - maybe he's afraid I'll kill the parent plant. He said you can propagate them by taking cuttings and rooting them in damp sand? When and how?

And is there a way to propagate lowbush berries? I have scads growing in the woods and I'd like to move them, or encourage them to spread out into the open a bit more where it would be easier to pick.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating blueberries?

There are two ways that I have done highbush.
Take cuttings during Winter/early Spring,about six inches,non fruiting wood.Put them inside of baggies with some damp Peat moss in the bottom of a refrigerator for about three months.
Or get cuttings from Spring/early Summer,not too hard or soft and take off all leaves except a couple at the top of each one.
Mix up some Peat/Perlite,about 50/50,either in trays or small pots and stick cuttings.
Probably the most important part is keeping the leaves moist with a film of water until roots form.I tried putting a plastic bag around them and used a spray bottle but only had limited success.
Now I use a Mist-a-Matic and also made a box using a pond fogger/mister.Keep the cuttings out of direct sun. Brady

photo Image427.jpg
 photo Image424.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation of Blueberry Cuttings Using Fog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here