Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pear trees

Posted by PeterS1938 UK (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 7:22

I have three four year old pear trees in very large frost free pots which for two years have had very little bloom which dry up and fall off and part of the leaves turn black.It looks like fire blight but there is no shepherds crook on any ends, which supposedly is the telling sign?
Can somebody please advise me as what the problem is? I am at the point of binning them rather than waste another year.
Peter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pear trees

Peter, knowing that these are container grown plants opens up a long list of possible problems.....with the potting medium itself as well as the growing and cultural conditions your trees are exposed to.

Perhaps if you could share some more details we could help. I sure wouldn't give up on the trees if the problem can be fixed.

I'd like to know such details as the size of the trees, size of containers, ingredients of the potting mix, fertilizer type and application details, watering habits, etc.

o
RE: pear trees

The size of the pots in question are 24x20x18 which I believe are quite large enough as the tree is only 6ft high.The compost used was John Innes no6 and I use a water meter prior to watering.As to fertilizer I always use phostragen as its a good all round feed which is applied fortnightly as they are in containers.I hope this gives you something to go on and thank you for the reply.
Peter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here