Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
copper _&_ chlorothalanil _&_ streptomycin fall spray ?

Posted by mes111 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 7:41

Just getting my head around to thinking about preparing for fall/winter dormant spray.

I order to control leaf curl, fire blight etc,-

1). Is there any benefit to using _all three_; copper AND chlorothalanil AND streptomycin dormant spray (together or as separate sprays) this fall?

2). If yes how much time between sprays?

3). Any downside?

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: copper _&_ chlorothalanil _&_ streptomycin fall spray ?

I don't have much advice but, what plant(s) are you talking about?

o

Fruit trees.

Apple, pear, peach, plum, apricot, cherry, nectarine.

Mike

o

Fruit trees. Apple, pear, peach, plum, apricot, cherry, nectarine.

Mike

o

The sprays are based on what problems you have been having. Since I don't know the problems I don't know if the sprays are good. Strepto is generally sprayed spring only, I'm not sure why. Its OK to spray things all together, most chemicals mix OK in the tank. Just watch the label for exceptions.

Scott

o
RE: copper _&_ chlorothalanil _&_ streptomycin fall spray

Well I don't know about apples and pears as I don't grow them. And I kinda of disagree with Scott a touch, you're spraying preventatives, not for problems you are having but problems you want to prevent. Usually copper on the west coast is sprayed Thanksgiving, Christmas and Valentines day (advice from Don Shorr-Davis Garden Show) In our area I spray later than Valentines day but before bud break. The other two times are OK. You can adjust these times, most spray three times, so split it up, I may change times based on my furture observations. I don't use chlorothalanil as it is a fairly dangerous chemical. I may use it if I do see problems.It is probably better than copper or sulfur. If you have it use it. I also spray lime-sulfur at these times but not on apricots or pluots, I usually spray sulfur, than 2 weeks later copper.
You may want to spray the copper and sulfur with a dormant oil. or at least a sticker. I would not mix copper and sulfur, but I believe oil can be added to both. I'm using a sticker for now, but recently purchased some all seasons and dormant oil. Again I don't know about apples or pears?
You can use the above for peaches, nectarines, plums, and cherries. No sulfur with Cots, including pluots. Copper is OK on Cots.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 14:06

o
RE: copper _&_ chlorothalanil _&_ streptomycin fall spray

Scott:

This year I had to deal with :

1). what looked like "shot hole" on my plums.
2). black puckering bacterial or fungal ( we could not figure out which looked a little like "x" disease) on peaches.
3). bacterial canker on one apricot and one plum trunk.
4) Fire blight on some of my pears

This year most of the trees were 2 years old so I thinned mercilessly to let the trees grow out some. Next year I expect to let more come to fruit. So I am preparing to do dormant treatment for the coming season which I did not do for this season.

Thanx, Mike

This post was edited by mes111 on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 17:17

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here