Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
did I plant tree too high

Posted by ugabulldog ga (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 7:48

I planted nine 2 year old grafted pecan trees last winter. I dug the holes with a backhoe to give plenty of room for the roots to expand (hard ga clay). It was hard to tell how high they were compared to ground because hole was so big, I knew it was bad to plant too low and have graft below ground. Instructions said to plant graft union 2"-3" above ground. All of mine are higher, anywhere from 4-5" on up to worst one is 7-8". Could this be a problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: did I plant tree too high

...Roots are covered.

o

Sometimes they graft higher in case of failure they can go lower? Maybe this is what is the case. Make sure that the graft union is 2-3" above ground, and as long as the roots are covered, you should be good. I know they need Zinc, so you should know if your soil has enough. Here's something cool.
http://leaderpub.com/2012/08/23/niles-woman-waits-15-years-for-first-pecan/
Noogy

o

As long as the roots are covered, I don't see a problem.

o

When planting from a container, is is customary to locate the root flair, which is often too deep in the container, and use that as your guide when gauging planting depth. If the root flair is covered, that is deep enough. Al

o

As an aside to show you are not too high.....researchers have developed a way to grow peach trees in ground that is infested with Armillaria root rot. They plant the tree still in a pot but with an open bottom so the roots go out and down in to the native soil. After a year they remove the pot and the soil and the tree looks like it is standing on legs which are the main roots which are out of the ground for several inches. The trees look like they are perched on legs. The theory is that the root rot when it goes uip a root and hits the sun shine will go no further thus saving the tree. Just show how adaptable plants are and that too high (within reason) is ok.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here