Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Odd honeyberrry growth

Posted by canadianplant (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 8:06

This year honeyberries are finally available in decent numbers here. They have been all the rage in the last few years in canada (possibly with a bit of bias, since they have been popularized by the U of sask)

Anyways, I got 4 plants - 2 borealis, one Honeybee and one Cinderella. One of the borealis and the cinderella went in the ground in late may and the last borealis and honeybee went in by late june, early july.

The borealis and cinderella were planted in an area that gets sun for at least 6 hours a day, and are near other plants such as hosta, rhodo and ferns. The honeybee and other borealis are about 10 feet away, near a south facing corner, and get just a bit more light. They are next to a seeding pear.

The first plantings - borealis and cinderella have not grown at all. They do not seem to be dying or rotting. No fungal disease or pests either. It gets weirder, when the second borealis I planted hasnt done a thing either, when the honeybee, right next to it, has put on a good 6 inches of growth.

Anyone have experiences like this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Odd honeyberrry growth

I planted a borealis and a cinderella in pots in April in Norther Virginia while I was waiting for construction on my patio to be completed. They were in an area that got about 8 hours of sun. They grew a bit in the pots, but not much. I transplanted them into their new homes in raised beds near my new patio in June. They now get about 6 hours of direct sunlight and a couple of hours of filtered sunlight. Like yours, they have not grown at all, but do not appear ill. Perhaps they are putting their energy into root production?

o

That is what Im hoping. They are honeysuckle, and if Im not mistaken, they tend to need to settle a bit. I know that there can be a dozen or so reasons as to why they slow down, I was hoping that someone would have had a similar experience. Lots of things do this for a year when planted anyways...

o

I have had similar experience. Northwoodswis

o

• Posted by danzeb 7a long island (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 15:45

I planted Blue Sky in the ground this May. It has no new growth but has not died and looks almost the same as when I planted it 3 months ago except for a small amount of insect damage. Hopefully it will survive the winter and grow next year.

o

Again that is my experience. I have a feeling we are all going to br pleasently surprised at how much they grow nextyear

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here