Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squirrels

Posted by CharlieBoring 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 8:13

This season I lost the majority of my fruit (tomatoes, peaches, raspberries, figs, nectarines, cherries, persimmons, strawberries and asian pears) to the local bandits (some people call them squirrels). An investigation was conducted by yours truly and of course those lying bandits blamed the crows; but the crows insisted that they had only taken their fair share, where as the bandits took much more than their share. The verdict was guitly - so out comes the livetrap to thin those suckers out. (I know that they are laughing at me for bring out the easily manipuplated livetrap.) What they don't know is that I have negotiated a pact with the ground squirrels (who eat the livetrap peanut butter bait without triggering it) and they have agreed to leave the bait alone. The deal cost me a sack of peanuts, but they were old. I win! Now we will see who is smarter, me or the squirrels. My wife says that the answer is clear. What did she mean by that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squirrels

Very good!! I enjoyed that!

o

I use pecans (in the shell) and jam them into the metal webbing in the back of the cage. It catches them every time. Another option is .22 pellet gun and patience. Just make sure you have a clear shot..shoot the crows too. I use open sights on mine, but i should site it in with the scope on it.

o

Crows were into apples at the very tip of my Lodi tree. Caught them in the act. I suspect them in the damage to sweet corn, although woodpeckers are bad too. Since we trapped so many squirrels who were eating our bird food, we have had little trouble with them this season. We keep an electric fence around our orchard and two sizable vegetable gardens. This keeps out raccoons and larger animals, but not rabbits--IF, and this is a big IF, the ground is moist.

I keep what I call "stinky stuff" going all summer in a 5 gallon bucket. It contains water, eggs past their due date, blood meal, and garlic and hot peppers liquefied in blender . I have poured this mix at the base of fruit trees and up the trunk. Not sure if it works, but it might. Deer hate it.

o

I have posted this on other squirrel threads, but I'll repeat as I think it's worthy. Black walnuts are a bait that nothing else goes for (n my area). By blocking one end of a Havahart trap and blocking both sides, plus putting a sacrificial nut just inside the trap it has a very good success rate. You have to start before you need the protection and go all the way to last harvest. No need to continue to trap in the off season, you are not getting ahead.

Releasing captured squirrels is not popular, but on the other side of a river or 10+ miles away will keep them from returning

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here