Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
otterway

Scab on Fruit Trees

otterway
9 years ago

We planted our first fruit trees in the Spring of 2013 and have since added a few more. We now have 2 Peach trees, 1 Pear tree, and 4 apple trees.

This year our weather has been unusual. We will experience what the news is calling mini droughts then have a week of constant rain where everything is flooded.

Now our Georgia Peach Tree, Gala Apple Tree, and Golden Delicious Apple Tree have all come down with Scab. The Peach Scab is mild to moderate but the Apple scab is moderate to heavy. What can we do to treat it this year and prevent or at least lower the chances of it reoccurring next year.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (4)

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

There are a lot of experts here otterway and I'm not one of them, but this is what they will tell you.
    Spray with immunox (myclobutanil). You can read up online about the best times to spray, but there would be no harm whatsoever in applying it now. You can find it at most of the big box stores as well as Ace hardware and the like. Roughly $10 to $14 for the 16 oz. concentrate. Walmart sells the hose end spray bottle for lawn applications and it has a higher concentration of myclobutanil in it (1.55 - 2 %). Make sure the product has ONLY myclobutanil as the active ingredient. It is labled on the front of the bottle in the lower left hand corner. You can buy this if you like at substantial savings then adjust the mix rate accordingly. You can find the regular label online...the regular stuff is I think like .55%.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

BTW otter...was at Wally World yesterday and the stuff they had did indeed haveonly myclo as the active ingredient. The reason I emphasize checking is because who knows, they may introduce a product that combines myclo with some other chemical that is not approved for edible fruit. I found on the shelves that the newer bottles had 1.55% and there were a few older ones there that were still 2%. I think it was around $15, but because of the higher concentration coupled with the fact it was 32 oz. as opposed to 16oz. that would make it like 1/5 the price of the regular concentrate as pictured above.
    Hope that helps.

• otterway
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. Will definitely look into it.

• mjmarco
    9 years ago

I'm guessing but if you just planted these you probably don't have fruit yet. If that's so and I was you I would not spend the money on sprays this year and attack it in the fall at dormant season and clean up any leaves around the yard.

There are a lot of spray program posted here just search them they will list the sprays too also Harvestmen has a good one posted on here. Immunox is a good one to start with...

So, the best advice I can give you is "timing" in spraying for fungus and the weather in your area will play a big part. It's been a very wet season here too and scab is one of my problems every year because of where I live...with a body of water 500 feet from my trees but read up on it and apply your fungicide according to the label on the product...remember early is better then later.
    Good luck!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations