Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you have a plethora of peaches...

Posted by hannah9880 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 8:49

If you like to freeze peaches and you have lots of them, you might try this: mix 2 cups of peeled peaches with 1 tablespoon orange juice CONCENTRATE and 1/4 cup sugar. Bag in freezer bag--( I always double bag frozen items).
So fast, so easy--way faster than canning. Using orange juice concentrate came from an old Farm Journal cookbook from the 60's. I have tried various combinations of oj and sugar and like the above best. You could try orange and pineapple juice concentrate too. I have tried this with my peeled Superior plums to see how it would taste next winter.

The benefit of using the oj is that you can refrigerate left-overs and the peaches don't brown. (Last year's serendipity since we normally consume them all after thawing.)

When my children were little, I used only oj to freeze peaches, but now this gives me a tummy ache.

By the way, thaw the peaches one minute in the microwave. Split up the partially thawed peaches with a fork into serving sizes--two for us--and microwave each portion again to your liking, usually another minute.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you have a plethora of peaches...

I myself like to freeze in quart sizes. I never tried OJ before. I never heard of using OJ? I use apple juice one cup per quart (about 5 peaches). NO SUGAR. The juice will prevent drying, freezer burn and oxidation (browning).
Peach or white grape juice can also be used. Besides peaches/nectarines, plums, cherries or figs can be done this way too. With your method, I would worry about freezer burn, and I try to avoid sugar. My method fruit should be excellent for 12 months frozen. You should use freezer zip locks and remove as much air as possible. A straw can help do this. Make sure fruit is completely coated, add more juice if needed.
If you have a vacuum sealer juice is not needed to avoid freezer burn. You can use 1/2 teaspoon of absorbic acid (find it next to the pectin at the store). Add 3 tablespoons of water and shake to coat fruit.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 9:53

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 22:42

The OJ contains ascorbic acid (vit C). That is what prevents browning. There is an expensive product called "fruit fresh" to prevent browning during freezing or canning. It contains both ascorbic acid and citric acid. Ascorbic acid is the main ingredient to keep the fruit from browning.

o

Since I am no longer a spring chicken I have tried nearly every method of preserving produce known to man. I've used Fruitfresh and vit.C tablets, etc. I just wanted to pass on a quick, easy, and tasty method using readily available ingredients to younger members of this forum.

o

We each have our own ways, now they have a lot of experimenting to do. My method is even easier, one ingredient. it doesn't get easier! I learned my method from an old web site. Let me see if I can find it...Yup, still there! Make sure you check the home page, great web site for those inclined.

Your method looks good. Orange juice or concentrate makes a lot of sense. I'm going to try it myself. In mine you should add lemon juice. I forgot about that! In yours with the citric acid in the orange juice, you don't have to. It sounds like a good method!
Anyways thanks for the post!

Probably the best method is just using prepared sugar as described in my link, but I hate using sugar if I don't have to. In your recipe you could omit the sugar too.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to freeze anything

This post was edited by Drew51 on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 9:07

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here