Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Califorina Peaches?

Posted by redrover1 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 8:50

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I live in East Tennessee and have bought a few peaches at the grocery store this past weekend and would like to try to raise a tree from seed. 2 of the peaches I bought were just labled Califorina Peaches. They are yellow freestone. Any idea what tree they may be. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Califorina Peaches?

redover:

They could be any of hundreds of varieties. But it doesn't really matter since the fruit from a seedling tree won't be like the fruit you bought. Same principal as our kids being different from their parents.

o

Please, don't knock peach trees on their own roots. I just harvested almost a bushel from one of those 'pit grown' peach trees, and they are the best peaches I ever raised or ate for that matter. They may not be 'clones' of the parent tree, but chances are still pretty good that they'll be a tree worth having. This tree is now 23 years old and hasn't missed a lick producing without sprays, thinning or pesticides. It had a twin I planted at the same time, a storm with terrific wind shears took down when it was loaded with fruit. The fellow who did the same experiment you are considering told me me they would be white, so like fruitnut says, it's a grab bag. They ended up being much like a red-haven instead. Freestone and very good. Peach trees and other pit fruits tend to produce better results than other types of fruit trees when grown from seed.

o

That is a good point. We are so accustomed to things being hybridized, grafted, cloned, inbred, crossbred to achieve what the mass production produce gurus decide we want, that we can't imagine the genetics of a nonmanipilated generation, having value.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 0:45

I can't add anything more to Fruitnut's post as it directly answers the original poster's question perfectly. My response is mostly geared toward maplerbirch.

Grafting is more of a practical matter than a diabolical plot drawn up by the Illuminati. I have limited space and a goal of being able to harvest fresh fruit every day of the year (mostly because I can). If I plant known varieties, I have a fairly reliable window for harvest and can plan for successive harvests. It does me no good to harvest a bunch of stuff all at one time (canning is not one of my goals). My plan goes down the drain with an unknown seedling that may take many years to produce a crop of unknown quality at an unknown time.

That's not to say that a seedling tree has no value, or that it is a total waste of time. If the fruit turns out to be undesirable, you can always top graft it with a known variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here