Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall planting for bare root apple and cherry?

Posted by oldryder (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 8:55

Didn't plant any new trees this spring due to foot surgery. would like to replace some dead trees but have never done fall planting.

1. is fall planting for bare root apple and/or cherry an acceptable option?

2.are there any special considerations different than spring bare root?

as always thx. in advance for info or suggestions.

ps. getting apples (finally) off my 5 year old semi-dwarf trees. 3 year old std. rootstock Van cherry still no fruit. seems like it'll be a couple more years at least. Seems like Van cherry is marginal for my area.

A couple cherries on 2 year old montmorency cherry, optimistic for next year on those.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall planting for bare root apple and cherry?

Bare root fruit trees are only available during the dormant season, usually January here. With fruit trees that don't go dormant such as citrus and avocado they are never available bare root. However if you had them they would be good planted in the fall. Al

o

Bare root fruit trees are only available during the dormant season, usually January here. With fruit trees that don't go dormant such as citrus and avocado they are never available bare root. However if you had them they would be good planted in the fall. Al

o

I don't what zone you are in but Stark Bros., Raintree and Miller (and many more I am sure) have available bare root fruit trees for November shipment.

I am in the Hudson Valley in New York and that date worked for me.

Mike

o

I don't know what zone you are in but Stark Bros., Raintree and Miller (and many more I am sure) have available bare root fruit trees for November shipment.

I am in the Hudson Valley in New York and that date worked for me.

Mike

This post was edited by mes111 on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 14:19

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here