Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

early evaluation of 2 new Rutgers donut peaches

alan haigh
10 years ago

Bear in mind that this is the first season I've tasted fruit from Buenos and Tango2 but I thought a description might help people decide on whether to try either of these two Rutger's creations.

I'm in southern NY, and it has been an exceptionally good season for stone fruit this year, the best I've ever experienced but the following observations are hopefully valid indicators.

BuenOs is subacid, a bit like Saturn but much more color in the fruit's skin, larger and at least a week (maybe 10 days) earlier. Very light yellow flesh instead of white It's also got a meatier texture. It is not as juicy as Saturn either, probably meaning its less subject to brown rot but there's still plenty of juice to make it palatable. I think its color is just beautiful- think tequila sunrise. It keeps in the fridge when firm ripe for two weeks without any change whatsoever. I don't know what it's storage limit will be.

TangO2 is nothing like the original TangO. It is almost a green peach without the same tang as TangO, but an interesting, hard to describe flavor without the acid tang of the original.

It is said to be challenging for the commercial grower but seems easy enough to me. As Olpea suggested last year, it will probably be the perfect peach on sites where bird pecking is a huge issue as the peaches are a unique lime tinted ivory color- not a hue likely to be identified as ripe fruit.

My wife has been taking photos of various fruit this season including these. When the madness of this years incredible harvest is over I will try to submit some photos.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?