Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying this tree

Posted by ROFLwTIME 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 9:09

Someone told me it was a flowering pear tree and that it did not produce fruit, but next thing I know I see these guys on it:

There are 100s of those little things on it this year and I do not recall seeing anything like it on the tree last year. I cracked one open and it tastes like a granny smith Apple.

It has a ton of branches. I doubt it has ever been pruned in its life. In the Spring, it has white flowers.

What type of tree is this? If it can produce delicious fruit, how do I go about getting this dude to do this? If it can't produce delicious fruit, are there any grafting options that I could do? I know I'm used to Apple pies, but I'd try giving some pear pies some love too. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying this tree

That a bradford pear tiny pears not tasty to humans.

o

Rof,

You can topwork it. Bark graft some good varieties of Asian or Euro pears to it.

Tony

o

Those don't look like bradford, they are bigger. Its some kind of pear however. Let them ripen and cook up some stuff with them and see if you like it. If you do, keep it!

Scott

o

There 2 types fruit on bradford pear one tiny compared to regular pear and fruit don't cluster like tiny pear look like cherry cluster agree cook test prove by taste. If pears don't have neck they more likely bradford.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here