Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How often and when to fertilize avocado trees

Posted by dailyso florida (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 9:11

Hello,

I planted avocado trees (the varieties Oro Negro and Haas) a year ago in Sarasota, Florida, and people told me not to fertilize them for roughly the first 6 months. I fertilized them this week. How many times a year should I fertilize?

Do the times of year I fertilizer matter, and if yes, what are the best times of year?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How often and when to fertilize avocado trees

I fertilize mine in February, June, and September. What type of fertilizer do you use? Usually in the label it tells you when to fertilize. I use Evergreen Avocado and Citrus.

o

I am in California, and I fertilize them with my citrus - Feb, April, June, Sept. And, pretty heavily. Most commercial growers fertilize with their water continually, which is actually what the prefer, but I'm not set up to do that.

Patty S.

o

Thanks, what type of fertilizer do you use? Thanks

o

A variety of different things. Mainly something formulated for citrus & avocado (and usually mango on the label). We have a nice product here by Gro Power Citrus & Avocado Food. I use this because it has a fairly large amount of humus and humic acid in it, which for me being on DG is very helpful. I also will luse Vigoro Citrus & Avocado Fertilizer and have used Lilly Miller's Citrus & Avocado fertilizer as well. And, I've even just used a 15-15-15 fertilizer with micros if that's all I have on hand. Many good choices out there. I would see if there is something formulated for your area, to meet micro needs that might be lacking in your soils.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here