Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is my Apple Tree Unhappy?

Posted by madler Arizon (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 9:13

Hello:

In the spring, I planted two apple trees, one Dorsett Golden, and one Anna. I've been watering them a bit more in the summer months, however while the Dorsett Golden seems to be doing ok, the Anna seems to be unhappy. Some of the leaves are curling upward, some are turning yellow and falling off, and others are turning partly brown. I've taken a few pictures that should show the different conditions.

I'm not sure if this is heat stress, overwatering, or what.

Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is my Apple Tree Unhappy?

Here is another pic of the tree.

o

Are you at lower elevations? Probably so with those low chill cultivars. If so it's probably just the heat and sun. Actually your trees look pretty good.

Looks like drip irrigation. That may not be enough water. At least once a week, during this heat, flood irrigate in a basin.

o

I just started to up the water to it, so I am currently watering 1 hour per day with a 2gph emitter at about 5AM when it's cool. I was watering for shorter 5 minute periods throughout the day with 10gph emitter.

Drainage is pretty good, so the water doesn't seem to pool.

Does this seem to make sense?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here