Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megamav

Squirrel Control - Bait Update

megamav
10 years ago

I wanted to give an update on my squirrel control this year.
Recap from another thread:

My method:

Dispatcher: .22 Caliber Benjamin Trail NP XP 1100
Bait: Black Oil Sunflower Seeds 35 lbs bag from Lowes
Bait station: 15 x 15 platform feeder with 3/4" trim to keep the seeds from falling off. Mounted on top of a pressure treated 2 x 4.

I talked about this in brief a couple of months ago, and I had been requested by harvestman to keep him up to date, but I figured I'd update everyone.

My neighbor has no less than 6 bird feeders in her yard about 40 yards away from the bait station. All bird feeders are close to her fence because she thinks its only right to feed the squirrels.

This bait is just still attracting the squirrels, and I keep putting them down one at a time. The inside of the seeds which are white make the bait visible from further away and the birds eat it as well, so its a double whammy. Where the birds are, so are the squirrels.

The squirrels still hang out in her yard, but they always come over to my yard for the Black Oil Sunflower Seed. I am approaching 50 takes since May, and I live in a suburban forest bound area, not a true open orchard like environment. Squirrels really havent smartened up other than being more sensitive to me opening the window. One time there was a scurry after I entered the room before I opened the window to "get the hell outta here".

I think they just cant resist this bait no matter how many of them I take down. I have been taking less, but there are fewer around because I've taken so many in the immediate vicinity.
It appears foraging season is upon us, and my takes have been increasing these past couple of weeks again.

I keep the seed in a Galvanized Steel garbage can in the shed to keep the vermin out.

The results are there, if you're going lethal with control, I'd recommend trying this bait. Its cheap, and its a magnet, even over bird seed 40-50 yards away.

Disclaimer: The Red Fox here eats well now. Its an animal that skims the surface with food, and I'm happy to help keep them going.

{{gwi:122293}}

This post was edited by megamav on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 10:46

Comments (9)