Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Chester and 3xCrown blackberry suckers come true

Posted by paulns NS zone 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 9:48

The Chesters put up a few suckers every year, the Triple Crown now and again...Will they come true? I'd like to share plants with the people who ask about them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Chester and 3xCrown blackberry suckers come true

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 11:25

yep, that's how it works.

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 22:37

Mine all have. They taste great.
John S
PDX OR

o

• Posted by paulns NS zone 6a (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 12:22

Maybe my question should have been, is it possible these varieties were grafted. I didn't see grafts/graft unions on them. There are so many kind of plant propagation they're still something of a mystery to me.

o

No, brambles are never grafted to my knowledge. The "union" is simply the crown of the plant from where the new canes originate.

o

You will occasionally get new plants from the roots of these semi-erect blackberries but it is much more likely that these varieties will propagate when the tip of a cane touches the ground for an extended period of time and forms roots directly from the cane, thus forming a new plant asexually (essentially a clone of the parent).

o

• Posted by paulns NS zone 6a (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 11:48

Our climate causes some winter kill every year and seems to keep the canes shorter than they would be in warmer zones so they don't tip-root on their own and we haven't had much success with doing it manually...

But thanks everyone, I'm reassured that the plants I share, given the same care, will produce as well as ours do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here