Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shouldn't Sekel be ripe?

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 9:50

They were ripe in late August last year, sweet and juicy. Of course, everything was early last year. I've picked one or two, dry and tasteless. Almost like overripe.

I'm probably impatient, right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shouldn't Sekel be ripe?

yeah..i think they still have some time left. I usually pick mine and refrigerate them for a couple weeks...then ripen them at room temp... my tree is just loaded this year. Might have to can a bunch.

I really need to add a Bartlett.

o

Here in NY spring (unfortunately for last years crop) began 3-4 weeks earlier last year than this one. It isn't about specific date but days from petal fall as a main indicator. Amount of sunny days and temps are also a factors with varying affects depending on species and variety.

My Seckels don't usually ripen until first week of Sept in Southern NY.

o

Last year was the first time this tree fruited, so I have no reliable benchmark yet.

o

Mine look ripe, but I tried lifting a few, to see if they would part from the stem, but not yet. My little tree is also loaded this year. Yum.

Patty S.

o

OK, NOW they're ripe! Delicious!

o

I can't wait, but I probably should. I got a good number of them too but I think they're a couple of weeks off.

o

Someone in my general area [outside Chicago] said they always pick Seckels on Labor Day. FWIW

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here