Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry ripening stalled - thoughts?

Posted by lucky_p z6 W.KY (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 9:52

Cooler, wetter, later than normal spring/summer here.
Blueberries - mostly rabbiteye and Southern highbush - set good crops, and the older, established rabbiteyes ripened their crops rapidly and were done.
Have several younger plants, put in 2-3 years ago - Brightwell, and Beckyblue(I think) that set good crops, and looked as though they were going to be late ripening. Berries have sized up decently, but for the past 3 week or so, it's as if they're stuck in a time warp - berries are red, but not progressing to blue/purple. They're not shriveled, like mummyberry - just seem to be hung up in the ripening process.

Any thoughts from you blueberry affectionados, as to what's going on with them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry ripening stalled - thoughts?

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 13:36

The sugars that end up in the berries originate in the blueberry leaves, and there must be sunlight for photosynthesis to take place. This process slows in overcast weather. My guess is that the fruit will ripen, eventually. If we ever get some sun...

o
RE: Blueberry ripening stalled - thoughts?

Weather! One of the joys, or not, of gardening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here