Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jonagold apples

I think so - they are one of my favorites that can be bought at a grocery store

o

• Posted by cckw none (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 11:07

It is my favorite from a local u-pick place. But this year I am going to try to test every variety from 3 orchards to determine my absolute top 5 favorites. Jonagold is both sweet at a tart. it is crisp and keeps well. I grafted several trees this year including Jonagold and compared to Liberty and Enterprise it appears to be a more vulnerable tree to cedar rust and such. I don't use chemicals, just baking soda 1/2 cup to a gallon for cedar rust, so they are fine.

o

They are one of my favorite tasting apples. You can try for yourself soon.

o

They are often winners in taste tests when eaten fairly freshly picked. Big, juicy, sweet, aromatic apples that hold their texture when cooked so are also good in the kitchen.

They are relatively reliable annual bearers.and altogether a grower friendly tree except for their reluctance to develop secondary branches when young.

One of my favorite sweet types. I like a couple of the newer (redder) sports more than the original strain.

o

I planted Jonagold seven years ago because it was always one of my favorite tasting apples when I would go to the 'pick your own' apple orchards. It was very slow to bloom. After five years it had one apple. Best apple I ever ate! After that there were five and now finally seven years later 12 apples. PIE!!! hooray! It is slow to establish, but once it seems to get going the apple crop seems to double every year. I hope that keeps up! I have five other apple trees, but Jonagold is my favorite. (It will go up against my French heirloom apples that arrive next spring). Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here