Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olympia_gardener

Is this apricot seeding?

olympia_gardener
10 years ago

Hi, I saw this is growing in one of my planter. I am wondering if this is an Apricot seeding ? If it is, what should I do with it? Can it be used as root stock for something? next year? Thanks.

Comments (11)

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

It looks like mine, yes...

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

That could well be an apricot. At least one of mine does have the serrated leaf edges. The reddish stems are also common in apricot.

You could use it as a root for another apricot. But beyond that I don't know about other stone fruit as scion. Seedling apricot also usually have decent fruit.

• lkz5ia
    10 years ago

A cottonwood took advantage of your planter.

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you , canadianplant and fruitnut. I will move it to the ground. If it survives this winter, I will use it as root stock to graft another apricot onto it..

I also have peach volunteer seedings in my yard. It sounded like that peach seeding has more use as root stock for other stone fruits than apricot or plum? how decent fruit a peach seeding bears?
    I saw very large white peach in Rome last month. I have never seen peaches in white color before , no any red or yellow color at all, all white. Out of curiosity, I tasted a few, they are very sweet and juicy. I saved some seeds and hope I can grow it here ( in the pot), I am wondering if the fruits quality will be , or close to be the one I ate?

10 years ago

IKZ could be right, it could be a cottonwood. You might dig gently around the base of the tree with your fingers. If an apricot you should find the shell of the seed.

Do you have reason to believe an apricot seed could have fallen or been tossed there?

This post was edited by fruitnut on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 11:17

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ikz5ia, the leave does look like poplar / cottonwood but I am not sure poplar leaves stem is red. I have seen poplar leaves and apricot leave both. The leaves have similar shape. It did occur to me that it might be some sort of poplar family. We don't have poplar tree in my close neighborhood. but the seeds could come with the wind. In early summer, I did throw apricot seeds to the garden, possible to the planter or the compost. My Robada leaves has red stem too.

• olpea
    10 years ago

"I saw very large white peach in Rome last month.... I saved some seeds and hope I can grow it here ( in the pot),"

Olympia,

I assume you mean Rome Italy?

If so, I would encourage you to throw the seeds away. Some strains of Sharka virus (plum pox) can be transmitted through stone fruit seeds.

Europe has long been a hot spot of plum pox, so the risk of infection is real. The last time plum pox was introduced in the U.S. (probably by a fruit hobbiest) it collectively cost stone fruit growers millions. I've personally talked to a grower who was forced to cut down his orchard because he was in a quarantine zone. Anyone in a quarantine zone had to cut down all their stone fruit (commercial and hobbiest alike) whether their trees were infected or not.

A potentially interesting variety is not worth the risk of destroying peoples' livelihoods or hobbies.

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

olpea, I just Google this disease. it looks like there are 6 strains. Most of them are transmitted by aphid. One strain has been reported transmitted by seeds. you are right . it is not worth the risk.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

I agree... i'd get rid of those things..destroy them. We don't need anything else to worry about.

There are many excellent white peaches/nectarines here in the states to choose from.

10 years ago

Canada spent $180,000,000 trying to eradicate plum pox from the Ontario growing district. But that wasn't enough to get the job done. They were not willing to wipe out all orchards in that area, wait 5 years, and start over. So they have settled for "containment". That will fail at some point and it will invade the USA again. Or someone will again bring it in from Europe probably on budwood.

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

An interesting finding about the PPV in Canada is based on genetic changes they believe the infection originated in home and not commercial orchards. Basically someone with a backyard orchard brought in some scionwood or budwood from an infected part of the world.

Scott