Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guava Plant Bending Brown Leaves No Growth Spotted

Posted by GoldenTurtle none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 10:21

Hi,

I am newbie and sorry If I am posting it wrongly. I purchased 2 Guava plants from a local nursery 2 month back and planted it in rainy season. 1 plant is showing good growth and new leaves can be seen on it. Other plant is not growing. Instead of growing, it's leaves are bending down and turning brown. New leaves which were present at the time of planting are also dying. It is raining with a 2-3 days interval since planting.

Initially I thought it could be due to termites and I applied an organic termite killer two times with the interval of 7 days.

I am posting the picture here. Since planting it is looking same as shown in the picture.

photo bfd5293e-d61c-4f10-b73a-d48b903ad624.jpg

photo a3269b60-2d6d-429f-9d9e-6280c0e64d7c.jpg

photo 82553b23-6079-4e16-b232-fa95a7e1a639.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guava Plant Bending Brown Leaves No Growth Spotted

Why would it be termites? They only eat dead wood, not living plants.

o

Likely has a root problem of some sort.

o

How to identify the problem and what should be the solution?

o

Try posting in the linked forum. There are more growers in your climate and growing tropical and subtropical fruits like guava...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/

o

Doubt anything mysterious going on. It looks dry.

Have you watered it?

Even if so, have you checked the moisture content of the original rootball?
Water at the football more often than the surrounding soil.

If the rootball and the surrounding area are both adequately moist, was the rootball disrupted and/or broken at planting?

o

@Jean001a : it is raining since we planted it so it is being watered almost everyday. I believe the rootball was broken at the time of planting. Will it regain it's strength again if that happened?

o

@melikeeatplants : thanks for the link. I just posted the issue on that forum as well :)

o

my guess is it is drowning. One thing I learned recently is the teacup effect of a freshly planted tree or bush. water will easily penetrate into the hole you dug and stay super soggy in that loose soil.

I don't have a solution to saving it at this point, pure guess work would be to remove some leaves so the severely damaged root system has less to try to support.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here