Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low chill apple shape confusion

Posted by bejay9_10 zone 9/10 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 10:40

My first two low chill apples were Anna and Dorsett Golden (both doing well, thank you).

This past year I added Ein Sheimer, a Fuji and another - I thought - Anna to my orchard collection. They are all doing quite well, except for Ein Sheimer, which seems to have a lot of small fruit, which doesn't go on to develop. Perhaps, I'm thinking, time will correct this.

However, my main question is that the 2nd Anna, looks significantly different than the original one first planted. The fruit on the new one is shaped more "barrel" like, whereas, the original Anna is "round."

Also the newer tree has reddish streaks when ripening, but original Anna, ripens yellowish.

Is it possible that one of these trees is an "imposter."

Bejay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low chill apple shape confusion

This link may help answer or at least eliminate a possible problem. Scroll down to the february 4, 2012 entry where pollination is described. Check to see if the pictures match your apples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Blog

o
RE: Low chill apple shape confusion

Anna apples will present in two different shapes - long and skinny if not pollinated (they're self fruitful and do not require cross-pollination), or more typically apple-shaped if they get pollinated. You can tell when you cut into the Anna apples. The taller, skinnier ones will not have seeds inside :-)

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here