Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
o7sugar

Looks like blueberry-ish bush but NOT???

o7sugar
15 years ago

Hello everyone, new to this forum here and hoping I can get everyone's help!! I live in RI and am in a fairly new develop, so whatever is growing, my guess is it's wild. Now these bushes are all over the place, currently are probably no taller than 2 feet, and have these blueberry looking berries on them. However these berries are a real dark blue, almost purple-blue, when you break them open they have a clearish flesh (like a blueberry) however there's about 8 or so little light tan seeds in the middle??? Unfortuneatly I can't find the hook-ups to my camera to be able to post pics, but I will try to located it to make this a little easier.

Any guesses or anything would be greatly appreciated!!!! I would love to bake with these if possible, and not poisonous. If any other questions come up, feel free to ask and if possible I will do my best to answer.

Thanks again!!

-Nicole-

Comments (7)

• spogarden
    15 years ago

You might try showing it to your local nursery or master gardeners, they might know. without a picture it is hard to guess what it is, I wouldn't take a chance on it being edible or not.

• chills71
    15 years ago

My guess...(sight unseen)

Viburnum "blue muffin"

btw...if I'm right, don't eat!

Chills

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out the pic.

• esker
    15 years ago

Might be Huckleberry. If so, they are edible.

• price403
    15 years ago

Could possibly be serviceberries. Are the seeds crescent shaped? Also do the leaves look sort of like apple leaves? If so it's probably serviceberry, AKA saskatoons. Take it to a garden center or nursery before eating them...

• kiwinut
    15 years ago

Sounds like huckleberry to me, Gaylussacia sp. The hard bony seeds are the best indicator. Do they look like the plants in the link below?

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Huckleberry (Gaylussacia baccata)

• o7sugar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok so while doing a search for the same thing I already apparantly tried to find out 2 years ago, I came across my old thread here. So I'm re-posting with more info and this time pics!!!
    The bushes are about 12-18" tall and there are a few that are approx. 4-5 feet tall. All have the same dark berry on them, and before there ripe, they're green. I'm not 100% on the flower color but I want to say I'm pretty certain they were white. The bushes grow in a wooded area, and right now there are tons of ripe fruits. I'm hoping there edible so I've come here to hopefully break the mystery to what I have exactly growing in my yard! I welcome all suggestions, so fire away! ;)
    {{gwi:121267}}{{gwi:121268}}{{gwi:121269}}{{gwi:121270}}{{gwi:121271}}
    -Nicole-

• triarchy
    13 years ago

o7sugar, I am very interested myself as I just found a lot of the plant in your picture while blackberry picking in Wiscosnin. They smell a lot like blueberries when crushed, but I have not eaten them (I wouldnt eat anything without positive ID first obviously).

The main concern is the bush just seems too tall (some were 4-5 ft). The berry was black or dark purple. 10 hard, white or ivory colored seeds. Flesh was cream colored. Unripe berries were white and turned reddish before turning black/dark purple. Any help would be appreciated!!