Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hundreds of raspberry bushes no raspberries

Posted by jen1996 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 10:57

Hi all.
when we bought our home 10 years ago we had a number of raspberry bush but the first year noticed they produced little fruit or just bits of the berry. Each year i would pick them anyway. Last year we got more whole berries but this year almost none. We have never fed or done anything with the plants. But I would love it if I could get these plants to be more productive next year. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hundreds of raspberry bushes no raspberries

Don't have a clue where you live. This doc tells how to grow them in the northwest.
http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/18936/ec1306.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: grow raspberries

o

You've never done anything? Could be the problem....you need to prune the canes every year after the first year of planting.

o

I firgured not doing anything was the problem but I am finally having more time and success with gardening and now would like to do what I can do get the plants to produce.

o

I firgured not doing anything was the problem but I am finally having more time and success with gardening and now would like to do what I can do get the plants to produce.

o

next spring, before anything turns green, cut off the canes which are older than one year. they are easy to spot because the "bark" is often peeling and they just look older. this will increase your yield considerably. if you've never done it before you'll have a big pile of cut canes to get rid of.

o

Ok. Thanks.

o

You should water them. They need 1 to 2 inches per week. That's a lot.

o

Yes, water helps allot!
This is the third year in a row with good amount of moisture here and my raspberries are doing allot better, I lost lots of them before due to drought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here